The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy!
My san clemente goat gave birth yesterday afternoon to a little girl! Horray! All seemed fine until earlier today. My doe seems uncomfortable and her tummy and sides still seem big. I wasn't present at the birth but my boyfriend was. He took pictures and she seemed to expel all the afterbirth goo as normal.
So today she is acting so lethargic. I gave her an electrolyte solution but she won't take anymore. She is drinking water, which is good because it was super hot out. She is laying down a lot, she looks kind of hunched and is getting agitated when the baby nurses. I had to work all day today so when I got home I made her get out of the birthing pen and walk around quite a bit. When she stepped back up to the barn her upper half higher then her lower she let quite a bit of gas pass, and she stayed in the position for a long time. So I made her walk around a lot more. She still seems lethargic and uncomfortable. I read giving veggie oil helps, I only have canola. So my questions are can she wait until tomorrow for bloat treatment if that is the case. Or I'm afraid she might have a dead baby still in her? Bloat is new for me! I'll keep doing online research, I just hope she can hold on till tomorrow. I also tried making her eat some baking soda. Poor girl! Any advice would be terrific! Thank you so much!

·
Registered
30,643 Posts
I would get a temp on her..if there is a dead baby in there or any infection settleingin she will most likely have fever....
for bloat take 1/2 -1 teaspoon Baking soda in enough water to drench...
Check her udder..be sure she is not engourged..if she is real tight..milk her comfortable..be sure baby is getting plenty..whenyou feel the udder, check for pain, heat or lumps...be sure her udder is healthy
watch tp see if sheis grindingher teeth...chewing a cud..pooping peeing normal...eating...

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice! I'm pretty sure she has bloat. She is down and I need to force her to get up and walk around. A lot of front end elevation and massage. She just drank a ton of water. Her udder is okay for now but I will need to bottle feed the baby. I am wondering if anybody knows how long it should take to get over bloat? I am helping pass a lot of gas with massage and elevation. But when should she start coming back, or basically when should I call a vet on this matter? It seems like a common enough thing, she doesn't have frothy bloat. Thanks so much!

·
Super Moderator
58,921 Posts
Really she should be over the bloat by now if you have been treating her. I would get a temp or just go ahead and get a vet involved. If she is lethargic and laying around, that could build up gases too. There may be more going on.

·
Registered
30,643 Posts
How is she this morning...I was thinking of other reasons for her condition:

she could also be Ketosis..Symptoms are the same in both Ketosis and Pregnancy Toxemia

Weak, mild bloat can be present, sub temp, off feed...
if she is struggling with this:

She needs to drink plenty of fluid to flush toxins out...
Proplylene glycol dosed at 60 cc orally twice a day can be used, but this product is hard on her kidneys and goats usually don't like it. An alternative to propylene glycol is a combination of 50% dextrose diluted with an equal amount of water and given orally at a rate of 60 cc twice per day. Molasses and water or Karo syrup and water can also be used. Get both Vitamin B12 and Fortified Vitamin B Complex into her, and orally drench her with GoatAde (www.goatsupplies.com). Feed the doe as many green leaves as she will eat
Oral administration of CMPK or MFO is desirable. Niacin at a rate of 1000 mg per day is helpful. Daily dosing with Goat Guard Probiotic Paste is advisable (www.goatsupplies.com). Moderate exercise is essential; do not allow the doe to be inactive.

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, Thanks everyone! I called up the vet but when she came it was too late. I can't believe how quickly everything happened...I'm still in shock, this basically happened overnight. She had another baby that didn't come out and on top of that there was bloat happening. Geezz...I have never had birthing issues before so this was a whole new situation to deal with. It's so tricky to know how much a person can deal with and when a vet should come. So now we have a little orphan girl to take care of. Thankfully she got her colostrum and is doing pretty good. Plus I have other goats I'm milking so she can get it straight from them. What a devastating learning experience. I appreciate all of the support though! Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
58,921 Posts
I'm so sorry you lost her. I have heard so many stories this year about retained dead kids. Not sure why it would be happening so much this spring and summer. I hate learning my lessons that way. Enjoy that little one that you will be bottle feeding.

·
Registered
30,643 Posts
Awe..im so sorry.....

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks you guys!
I usually wouldn't breed a goat for her to kid in summer. The heat can be too much to handle. I just really wanted to pounce on this opportunity to raise this breed of goat. The opportunity came up late in the breeding season but I really wanted her bred to a different buck then what I was getting. Anyway, the baby is doing amazingly right now. Getting her down to the goat pasture at least once a day to socialize with her kind while keeping a super watchful eye on her.
So I'll just have to do some research on possibilities why the baby was retained. The san clemente seems to be built a little different then my dairy girls. Her hips and tail slant down much lower. I'll see if it's a breed issue, but I don't remember reading about that from researching.....
Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
58,921 Posts
Shouldn't be a breed issue. All the retained dead kids I heard about were in dairy breeds. I suspect weather can have affects on things and it has been a strange weather year. At least in my area.

·
Registered
30,643 Posts
Selenium Def can cause retained kid/placenta..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts