Bloat averted.....barely

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Thanatos, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    So I got home last night went out to say hi to every one and noticed that Cleo, our 3 month old nubain doe, was round as a drum and when I patted her she sounded hollow. Well at first I really didn't think much of it as she was still being a goat, but I thought to myself why not give her some tums JIK cant hurt right :shrug:. So we did and within like 10min she was MUCH less round. I had my oldest give her some more before we locked em up for the night and this morning she is back to being goat thin again and jumpin round.

So I guess my moral here is, at least for bloat, if you think they might be just treat it cause worst case is they get some bicarb and calcium, but then you don't have the stress on them of serious bloat. :thumb:

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow ....tums ..........did you give one at a time...and how did you give it?..........I am so happy it worked..............great thinking Jason ......... :wink: :greengrin:

3. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    I gave 3 then 2 and we just stuck em in her mouth and she ate them.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Alright...... :thumbup: .......well thanks for the info..........I will try that .......if it happens to one of my goaties..... :wink: :greengrin:

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    That is GREAT. I had not thought of tums either but wow hello of course it makes since. Do you keep baking soda out for them?

6. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    yes we do, i guess it wasnt as foolproof as we thought. mabey she just doesnt like it and would rather the belly ache :shrug: , but hey tums r CHEAP so what the heck if pregnat women can eat them to help supplement calcium and settle the tummy y not a goat :shrug: . We gave some to Luna as well JIK since she ate the same NEW plant. Of course since it was new they ate ALL of it. hmm goats or pigs?

7. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I just did the same thing this week when one of my does got a huge tummy and I was concerned. She loved the tums and is fine now. I put a container of tums in my goat pail (medical kit) in the barn so it's right there from now on.

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    TUMS are great! Mine love the berry flavors, I get the dollar store cheapies and each of my girls get 2 a day while preggy and then 1 a day while in milk....helps with calcium and a great way to help combat bloat in the finicky "won't eat the white powdery stuff" goats! Good call Jason :thumbup: