The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I see so many people having issues with bloat. So people baking soda is the answer to the problem couple table spoons in the water Dailey
Or mix a table spoon of it per pound of grain....
Or if you have a goat that likes it (not mine they laugh at me when I try to feed them it) than give it to them with a spoon.
If you do this than you have no bloat problems. Only other thing is if your over feeding them grain maybe thats your problem .Mine eat fresh green everyday grass,weeds,leaves hay and no problems.
Just see a lot of topics on this and it works do this and u will never have a bloated goat.trust me not that many people doing it can be wrong.
Have a great goat day.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
I saw something on here the other day that said free choice baking soda was bad for some regions. Can anyone confirm this? I forgot where it was...

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
Not good for bucks in all regions to have out all the times...something to do with UC..:)

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see a lot of people use it as free choice I think better to just mix it that way they don't get to much

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
I leave it our free choice for my does...I only offer it to the bucks when they look a bit bloated from graze..they wont eat too much...they are pretty good about only eating what their body needs : )

SOme one chime in here for me...I can not for the life of me remember what baking soda does in connection to UC in bucks...:shrug:

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Is it that baking soda makes the urine alkaline when you want it acidic to prevent the crystals from forming?

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
I leave it our free choice for my does...I only offer it to the bucks when they look a bit bloated from graze..they wont eat too much...they are pretty good about only eating what their body needs : )

SOme one chime in here for me...I can not for the life of me remember what baking soda does in connection to UC in bucks...:shrug:
It deactivates ammonium chloride, causing greater risk for UC.

·
I'm watching you
22,271 Posts
And it causes alkaline urine which causes Silica stones from grass hay.
I've also heard of herds that ran out of baking soda and bloated because their body could no longer produce it naturally.

The real secret to bloat is lots and lots of fiber for cud chewing. In the natural goat chewing cud produces bicarbonate, when that cycle is broken by an outside source, the body quits producing it as it no longer needs to.
Now herds that are striving for top ten milkers and other things like that have a reason to use these things. The normal Joe though, really doesn't. Feeding good quality hay and alfalfa with whole grains in a balanced diet will almost never bloat your animal. Yes, they do produce less milk but, there are benefits.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts