The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Good news! Iv catheter was pulled tonight, she is eating hay like a machine, not happy about just plain oats but is picking at them and giving me side eye as she does it, chewing cud, no bloat at all today, good pelleted poop, water works are running properly, temp is stable and within proper range. She gets to return to the barn tomorrow, but I will be monitoring temps throughout the day and night to ensure she stays in proper range. I believe she is going to be ok.

After seeing the slide from the parasite load, I have no doubt that was the reason behind it. I am also treating the other goat who came with her.

Thank you all for all the help and support! One more doe to kid and hopefully that goes as it should.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
thats great! she probably should stick to plain oats and hay for now...poor thing lol. after a few days or so passes you can hopefully introduce grain again slowly:)

hope the other doe does all right too
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So far the other doe who came with her has no issues. Fingers crossed.

She is allowed a half handful of oats a couple times a day for now, hay is to be available 24/7. I think she is ready to rejoin her babies and get back to the barn. She tries breaking out of the bathroom pretty steadily now. We plan on continuing to supplement by bottle feeding them milk from my other does. We all believe they need to be together, I am sure the babies miss momma and vice versa.

I am watching the last girl due like a hawk, her ligaments are almost totally soft and she had some discharge earlier today, she bagged up in the last 24 hours, massively. She is one to wait til the last moments for everything to come at once (ligs, milk, etc..once you see it, its not too long after), I keep checking the camera every hour to see what she is doing. Lol. The saga continues!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
praying she does great and has some cute babies soon...my Buttercup is pregnant too and its only my third kidding season ;so i am anxious as well!

Glad to know Blizzard is doing good; hope she has a happy reunion with her babies (would love to see some pictures!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well...she slid backwards on us again today, late evening drive to the vets again, more iv fluids, rumen poke, more meds and she is camping in my bathroom again. Starting to wonder if she likes truck rides, seeing the vet, and living in the house way too much. She is back on her feet, on grass hay and water only, adding dexamethasone, and more calcium to her med chart. Staying on d-Panthanol 2 to 3 times a day now until she is acting norm, then backing off to 1 cc a day for 4 days. Try this again! Hopefully she gets back around again and stays that way. The vet did give me an extra iv catheter in case I have to place another (yes, I have experience). This is going to be a long ride, I am afraid. We will get there, one step at a time.

On another note, my alpine doe decided she had enough waiting, finally, and had triplet bucklings while I was away, my neighbor came and helped my husband assist in case there were issues. All went well and 3 boys are happily sleeping and nursing. Waited for weeks for her to go, and I missed it! Darn goat! Lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Unfortunately, Blizzard left us this morning for greener pastures and beautiful blue skies. She left out one last bellow and was gone within seconds. I took her to the State Animal Lab for a necropsy to be performed. We had hoped she would rebound again, but she only continued to decline overnight, I was in the process of dialing my vet to have her euthanized when she passed. I guess she wanted to go on her own terms, her babies will be in isolation until I get results, biohazard measures will continue to be taken to prevent any illness spread in case it is contagious. I am keeping a close eye on her mother, because they both were at the same "sanctuary" and I dont want to go through this again if I dont have to. My heart is broken, she rallied back so good, only to lose the battle a day later. Thank you all for your help and support. I hope she knows I did everything I could to try to save her. She is greatly missed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss....you truly loved Blizzard and did everything you could for her.....in fact, through reading your posts, i had become fond of her personally as well. i hope she is happy wherever she may be, and that you heal quickly over her loss and find solace in her babies. it is never easy to lose someone you love
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thank you all. I am still reeling from this whole experience, and still extremely tired. I should have the results back by mid-week next week, hopefully it will put my mind at ease. Right now I am hypervigilant, watching the rest of the herd constantly, especially those who came back to me 2 weeks ago (Blizzard's 2 babies and her momma), even though they've been kept seperate from my healthy herd, I worry. Blizzard's little bucking had an episode of bloat this morning, talk about my heart hitting the floor and near panic. Thankfully with a small dose of meds, he is ok. My vet was concerned it was happening again, but hopefully that doesnt seem to be the case. The kids are now on grass hay, no alfalfa, and water, bottles to supplement, nothing else until we get results back. As soon as any of us get results we are getting together either in person or conference call to discuss what was found. These next couple days will be long days of waiting and watching. Hopefully if it was something that could be contagious, we can start preparing and coming up with a preventative or a treatment plan so this time we actually have a fighting chance. I still miss my girl, so much, and will for a long time.
 
21 - 40 of 44 Posts
Top