The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie and I need some help. I have a little guy who is about 8 weeks-Nigerian Dwarf. He came to our farm about a week ago. Last night when I came home my husband and my mother- whom had taken the goats for their walk said his belly seemed larger and tight. I went out to check him his belly it did seem a little swollen and tight. I gave him some baking soda (they have it available at all times) he had some burps and tucked him in for the night. This am his belly was down and everything seemed back to normal. Now this evening his belly is back to being swollen and tight. He is pooping fine and was running around the yard with the other goat just a hour ago. I gave him some baking soda- I hear belly sounds but he now seems like he is off and laying down. Suggestions.... I don't want to lose this guy.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
is he eating a lot just before you check him? thats normal for their rumens to be bigger at the end of the day because they would have been eating all day long.

Try reducing the amount he has to eat to see if this helps him.

DId he get his CD/T shot?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
If he does not seem to be in any distress than he is probably just suffering from what we like to call "hay belly". It is totally normal for goats to gorge themselves with hay and browse during the day and look quite plump by bed time...They always look thinner in the morning because they've been asleep all night digesting instead of eating. Just keep the baking soda out for him...as long as he is acting normal it is fine...if a goat actually bloats there is usually no question about what's happening--you will know.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. I am trying to round up all the needed meds that I should have on hand for emergencies but I am so afraid that something will come up and I won't have what I need.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Goats will not eat too much hay. Mine get basically all they want and there has never been a problem as a result. Sometimes alfalfa hay can cause an upset tummy if they are not used to it but that usually causes clumpy poops rather than bloat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts