The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2.5 month old Nigerian dwarf buckling that has been recently wethered via a band (2 weeks now).

Just this morning he looked bloated and wasn't moving around much at all, mostly lying down. There hasn't been any recent changes in his food to our knowledge.

He was treated with 3cc antitoxin and 5cc of pepto. We also "burped" him quite a bit.

We've seen him pee and poop. First poop was normal, the second was more of a solid mass.

He's not showing much interest in grazing or hay (he did eat a bit this morning), and we just took his temp and it's at 106.7. We've seen him drink a limited amount of water.

He was wormed 2 weeks ago with ivomec orally.

Any thoughts? We need some help here. He seems to be going downhill and doesn't want to move much.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We made the decision to drive the hour the vet. My wife is on the way with him now. With a fever that high we were really worried. All we have onhand is LA200 and Penicillin. I'll keep you posted on the vet. Thanks for the response....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We took him to the vet. His temp was down to 105 and the vet ran a fecal. She saw some cocci and some barber pole worms. She treated with 10cc Albon and 1 cc of cydectin.

I'm still worried. To me, his stomach felt blown up like a balloon. He's just standing around looking lost.

·
Super Moderator
59,755 Posts
Did the vet give any Banamine? With the high temp and being banded (in pain), some Banamine would be in order. At least you caught the parasites and are treating them.

·
Registered
31,458 Posts
I think you are right to still feel worry..with the high temp antibiotics are needed..this is the time of year pueumonia is common...the way you said he is acting sounds like more than bloat..or cocci...tylan 200 is a good otc antibiotic for pueumonia
C D antitoxin will be good for his belly...elctroyltes too...

best wishes

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
He doesn't seem as bloated today, but he's certainly not doing any better. I won't be able to take a temp again until tonight, but his eyelids have gone from pink to white. We gave him some nutridrench this morning, but he's just standing around today.

I know white eyelids mean worms, but we just wormed him yesterday. He's not eatting a whole lot of hay.

the Vet didn't give any other banamine or others meds. the "banding" looks almost complete and it could fall off any day now. So i wouldn't think he'd be in that much pain.

He usually get "some" alfalfa and a bit of medicated grain. We've removed that since his bloat appeared, but now that it seems more worm related, we're debating introducing it again. He doesn't like the standard orchard grass hay much.

·
Registered
31,458 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We spoke with the vet via phone and picked up some more meds last night. I gave him a shot of banamine and continued the albon treatment. He seems a bit more spritely, but it's tough to say. The vet also suggested penicillin. If he's still running a fever today, we'll start that.

Taking it day by day! thanks for all the great help and advice.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another update. The bloat seems to be gone, and we are continuing the 5 day albon treatment. However, he's extremely weak and looks extremely skinny. We've been giving him power punch, but his ribs are starting to show.

When we started this we pulled the slight bit of grain that he got along with the alfalfa hay.

He doesn't have a fever anymore, but he's just not moving around much.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
31,458 Posts
Good to hear he is beginning to heal

fresh green leaves.....its a natural food for him,he canhave alfalfa and hay as well...he maybe weak from the runs, cocci and lack of eating well..B complex daily to help with energy and appitite..Probios if you havenet started already to help restore his flora ...
it take much longer for goats to gain weight then loose it..be patient and add to his feed a small amount at a time, a bit of BOSS and Calf Manna will add protien and fat...as long as his runs are gone and he is chewing a cud he can have the grain small amounts at a time...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We gave him a small amount of grain and alfalfa this morning. He gulfed it all down! He just seems extremely weak and is standing around alot. I know it takes a while to recover, but i was hoping to see some more improvement by now.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, i thought we were on an upswing, but today he's alot worse. His temperature is 100.2, and he wasn't interested in alfalfa or grain this morning. Last night he had a great appetite. He's just standing around today, looking depressed and a bit hunched over. We ddin't see him pee or poop. When it looked like he wanted to pee, only a little came out.

To summerize:
We've given him 5 days worth of Albon at 4cc. That ended yesterday
We gave him 1 cc of cydectin 5 days ago for worms orally.
He was also given a shot of banamine about 5 days ago.
He's been getting about 3 cc of nutridrench and 1 cc of red cell nightly.

Not sure what else we can do here. We did give him a little probios this AM. Seems like we've hit him with everything possible. Last night it seemed like he couldn't get enough food. Today, he's not interested. He also wasn't chewing his crud this AM.

Any continued help would be appreciated. I don't know what else we can do.

·
Administrator
84,608 Posts
Oh no, I am so sorry :(

I'd give probiotics for 4 days and fortified vit B complex shot 3 to 6cc's depending on his size. His rumen may be off from all the meds
Which could cause the sub temp

He may also be dehydrated if he isn't peeing or have stones.

If you think he needs an enema then do so,

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He's so up and down. I gave him some anti-toxin, some probios, and 3 cc of Vitiimen B. He decided it he wanted to ate, and went to being super hungry again. We'll keep it up. Sadly, i feel like we've given him every med in the book at this point :(

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hoping this isn't my final post....we had to force him to get up, he was just lying there seemingly barely breathing. He felt a little bloated, so we gave him some baking soda in a drench. We did see him poop (normal) and pee which also look normal. He just has no life in him, and i feel like we've done all we can med wise. :(

·
Registered
31,458 Posts
Im so sorry...you certainly have not givien up on him..Another poster who is struggling with some of this same issues was given the idea about Mycoplasma Pueumonia...Its certainly worth looking in to here is a linkto read about it..
http://www.goatwisdom.com/ch8diseases/mycoplasma.html

In the mean time
Continue the C D Antitoxin every 6 hours...
B complex
probios
if his temp is low..get him in the sun rub him briskly...
Keep him hydrtated
again..Im so sorry....we can only do what we can...and you really have done quite a bit for him...Hugs

1 - 20 of 31 Posts