The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3.5 month old buckling with bloat. Trying to start him on new grain this week. Took away grain last night. Walked him and let him eat fresh leaves and grass. He looked fine at bedtime. This morning he is bloated again. My kids have been walking him around and letting him eat grass and hay. I have been trying to find cd antitoxin, no luck. Found bloat release- should I give this or M.O.M? I can't take his temp right now (at work).

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
Give him 1 teaspoon with enough water to drench...then message like crazy walk him and bounce his tummy...if its not bloat but toxicity from new feed..M.O.M is a good choice to start when you dont have C D antitoxin

MOM dose is 15 cc per 60# can cause the trotts..let it run it course as it cleans him out..keep him well hydrated..

·
1,384 Posts
they can also have bloat from parasites and coccidiosis bloom.

either one is fine, baking soda works well, too.

I would put him on grass hay only, and then after 3 or 4 days when he is back to normal slowly start adding the new grain to his diet, no more than 1/2 cup the first feeding, twice a day and going up 1/4 cup every 3 days or so.

Make sure he has been vaccinated.
Personally I wouldn't chance it and I would get my hands on some C&D antitoxin to treat him with.

Then I would treat for coccidiosis and worm him

and lots and lots of probios the next couple of weeks.

This is your new buckling?

Oh, just saw you are trying to find C&D antitoxin.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
happy bleats- one teaspoon bloat release?

no, not the new one thank goodness. This is the parrot mouth buckling. He had clumpy poo last week for two- three days. Then back to berries. He has all his vaccinations. Worming is on the list for this weekend- he has pink/ medium pink eyelids. Just wormed him in June.

I have the probios from tractor supply at home that is a paste that you click. What is the dose for that? It doesn't say on the tube and I have never needed it before.

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
on bloat release...instruction say, 6-12 OZ depending on how bloated he is...
probios is 1-2 clicks..you can really over do probios..;)

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, he is on grain with a coccidiostat in it. I looked at famacha- he is between 2 and 3. So I will definitely worm him, but want to get the bloat under control first. He has a large hump on the left side- almost even with his spine. He is panting when exercised...He looked nice prior to this.

·
1,384 Posts
medicated feed is not always enough, we have feed with Rumensin and still treat with corid every 21 to 30 days in the spring and summer. It has been a really bad year for it.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hubby is heading home to treat with bloat release and sulmet.

20kids- I had a fecal done in June and cocci levels were near zero. He has been weaning for two weeks, so probably stressed him. Hopefully the bloat release works. cd antitoxin on order. I thought tsc had that. Not so.

Guess I keep adding to my supply box.:)

·
1,384 Posts
Weaning will certainly stress them and you said he has a parrot mouth. That could be making it even more difficult. If his parrot mouth is bad enough, he may really struggle after being weaned. We had a cleft pallet that looked pretty good on mom, but when we weaned him he went down hill really fast.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually, I have been watching his progression. His teeth are almost lined up perfect now. The lower teeth hit the upper plate, not in front of it yet, but making progress. He had at least a 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch shorter lower jaw at birth, but it has steadily been growing out and catching up. I have a thread on here about him.

·
1,384 Posts
Does not sound like it would be bad enough to be the cause of the problem, Seems that he is just stressed and got a worm/coccidiosis bloom. We put all our kids on Corid after we wean them for 5 days. And worm the day we wean them. I have found it really helps, otherwise we would always get a couple getting really run down looking a week or two after weaning.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, thanks!

Bloat release worked! No more puffy sides.

Now, do I treat for worms and cocci now, or wait awhile to see if bloat comes back? And treat for worms and cocci tomorrow? Don't want to stress him too much more.

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
So glad it worked!!!

I would want a fecal done to be sure to treat correctly..as you said..you dont want to stress him ...if he is doing well, no anemia, eating drinking peeing and pooping berries.....another day wont hurt

1 - 19 of 19 Posts