The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a few days now, my 6 year old pygmy doe has had wet hay hanging from her mouth. She keeps chewing and chewing. I pull it out by the handful and every time I see her, it's back. What is going on? Is this a form of bloat? I had that with her before, but it was foam coming from her mouth not big globs of wet hay. Is it maybe teeth problems that has her just chewing forever?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have but will look again in case it wasn't visible when I looked. I thought she was choking at first and pulled a giant gob of wet hay from her mouth but it wasn't a one time incident...it's been several days now.

She miscarried on Thanksgiving too. I will get the vet out tomorrow if I can't figure this out before that. She seems fine...eating and drinking but there's this constant squeak sound as she chews and chews that sopping hay.

·
14,456 Posts
That squeak is bringing up cud.
When you say sopping wet hay if it's real fine green & very stinky it's normal cud.
What is her temp like?

If you look into her mouth use a 6 or 12 cc syringe sleeve or something sideways so she cant chomp down & injure your fingers.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Sounds a little young for teeth problems, but what you describe sounds like it to me. I had to float the teeth of one of my goats this year. His teeth in the back were growing points and he was just wadding up the hay and I would find the clumps all over the place.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's long strands of wet hay, undigested. Also, she's got fresh blood and mucus coming from her rear. Do you think she could still have a retained kid from her miscarriage over a week later or is she still cleaning out from that? I don't think it's related to the eating issue (though the eating issue could have caused the miscarriage maybe?). I'm calling the vet to come out this morning and take a look. She is still active and doesn't seem to have a fever but something isn't right!

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
Goats will continue to discharge after delivery/abortion for several weeks. I doubt it's a retained kid, though, if that were the case she would be dead or incredibly sick and smelly.

·
Administrator
85,812 Posts
I am sorry about her aborting. No, there is most likely not a retained kid.
I agree, they do clean out for a long time. Just make sure, it doesn't smell nasty. If it does, it is infection. Just keep an eye on that.

Glad the vet will look at her, keep us updated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

This has happened to me this week exactly as you have described.

Sadly I called the vet out too late and my girl has died.

I wanted to know if you ever diagnosed the problem?

We removed all of the wet globs from my goats mouth and there were ulcers on her tongue from having wet hay there for a prolonged period. Like you we cleared it and it kept returning.

She kept chewing and seemed unable to swallow.

We have an antibio tic injection and she was fighting hard trying to get food down til the last. Then I syringed lectade and she immediately decided to give up and died shortly after.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I had a goat kid do that exactly. Took her to a vet and had an x-Ray. She had an infected tooth. Antibiotics cleared it up and no more issues. Get an xray if you can, tooth could need pulling.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Follow up

The little goat did indeed have tooth problems. The vet put her out, filed her teeth down and here she is, almost a year later, healthy as can be!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts