The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!
I’ve been following this website for a few weeks now since my 2 new Nigerians wethers came home and I’m finally deciding to join & ask questions I haven’t found answers to. They are about 5 weeks old today.

My guys have been doing great but one has recently had some tummy troubles. Some scours (over eating/diet change expected) but monitoring & treating but to make a long story short, he was showing symptoms of bloat on Thursday night. So, I treated with Milk of Magnesia, massaging his belly, positioning him to help burp, etc.

He had only been on electrolytes since 11 am Thursday because of his bit of scours, which made me concerned why he was bloating (although he was outside and did have access to grasses/leaves/hay). I just had stopped milk.

Things started moving again overnight & there were some clumpy poops. I kept him on just electrolytes after on a Friday morning and he got 1 bottle of milk starting Friday evening. But this morning (Saturday) I found him with a messy bum & a big soft patch of poop. Not watery or runny but very soft (softer than his previous diarrhea episodes)

That all being said - I’m wondering if this is the milk of magnesia passing through now. He probably had 1-2 oz worth or so on Thursday night around 8-10pm.

I don’t want to start “treating” him or messing with his diet more if it’s likely just a result of the milk of magnesia but obviously if he’s still having problems that are beyond that I want to make sure I don’t let him take a turn for the worse. I’m going to monitor him all day and see how things progress. But I figured I’d ask you all what you’ve experienced with milk of magnesia of if you’ve ever seen something similar happen.

Sorry, I didn’t really keep that as “short” as I hoped. But I’m trying to give as much background as possible.

·
8,247 Posts
Milk of Magnesia is a laxative. It helps to move things out of the intestines rapidly. So, yes, his soft poop is probably a result of the Milk of Magnesia (MOM).

What kind of milk are you feeding?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
It's probably from the MOM, which is often given in cases of poisoning (helps move it out fast). If you are giving a milk replacer instead of whole milk from the grocery store, that could have caused his first diarrhea. Also, they are of the right age for coccidia; I do suggest your vet do a fecal check for cocci.

Welcome to TGS.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Milk of Magnesia is a laxative. It helps to move things out of the intestines rapidly. So, yes, his soft poop is probably a result of the Milk of Magnesia (MOM).

What kind of milk are you feeding?
Thanks, that's what I was assuming.

They are on Manna Pro Kid Milk Replacer (and have been since around 2-2.5 weeks). They came home with fresh goats milk and were transitioned over the course of a few days.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's probably from the MOM, which is often given in cases of poisoning (helps move it out fast). If you are giving a milk replacer instead of whole milk from the grocery store, that could have caused his first diarrhea. Also, they are of the right age for coccidia; I do suggest your vet do a fecal check for cocci.

Welcome to TGS.
Yes! I am aware of possible coccidia and am monitoring. Our other guy hasn't had any problems at this time.
So, I've read quite a few things about coccidia but wasn't quite sure about one thing:
Is it something that will be present in their digestive system no matter what?

In their case, are the only 2 goats on the property (and there have been no other animals/goats/etc. other than 1 dog here since I moved in over a year ago) and they've been here for 3ish weeks now so it wouldn't be from exposure to it from other goats fecal matter.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
The only way that your kids have not been exposed to coccidia ( before they came to you) is if they were in a clean room with no other goats pooping in it.
At three weeks old, they were nibbling and feeling everything on the ground to see what it was. That is the way they learn. It is very possible that they picked up coccidia oocysts from the ground.
Sorry for the long post, trying to give as much info as I could.

Reactions: mariarose

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
My kids are mouthing things at approximately 15-30 minutes old, so assume they were exposed by the time they came to you.

Most vets will do a fecal check that includes checking for cocci if you ask them to include it. They aren't worms, so they won't show up on a regular check, and they don't respond to regular dewormers, because, as I said, they are not worms.

It's a simple check, and then you'll know for sure.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,450 Posts
IIIIIT'S FECAL TIME!!!! :getwell:

He has most definitely been "exposed" to cocci, and he may show symptoms without the other goat having any problems. And yes, they always have "some" coccidia present, but babies and animals under stress can get blooms of parasites when normally their systems keep it under control.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes! Thank you!
He’s got me watching him like a hawk in the meantime while I get a fecal test done. But he’s been bright eyed & always looking for more food, so he luckily doesn’t have me too stressed out today LOL

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Oh, we don't mean to stress you out. It's just that they are at the right age for this to show itself. And if it is, then it won't go away on it's own.

He may be just reacting to the mik replacer. As well as getting a fecal check I'd definitely consider moving him back onto milk. Whole milk from the grocery store is fine. Put a pinch of baking soda in the first bottle of the day is the common wisdom here on the site.

And honestly, it could be a combination of things. He had a strong immune system keeping the cocci at bay, but the stress of the move and the diet change gave the cocci an opportunity to multiply.

Or he may have gotten badly chilled and that is what threw things into a tizzy, and the milk replacer wasn't good enough to put it right...

Or... etc. etc. etc.

We're just saying, get that one checked, as it is the most dangerous and go from there. Sorry we have frightened you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No! Not frightened at the moment :) he did have me worried when he was acting bloaty a few days ago though. I just have to wait until Monday when the clinic opens to send in a fecal.

They have been on replacer for 3 weeks (and they also moved here about 3 weeks ago) and they have been doing well until up until now. The only “new” thing is they’re starting to eat solids more now & graze. He’s definitely not eating as much in the means of solids as his brother yet. And he did get himself wet the other day & I had dried him off pretty quickly but I’m sure it could be part of it. We’ve had some pretty jumpy temperature changes over the last week & lots of rain.

But, I will be taking everyone’s advice and getting them tested on Monday!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There was some pellet formed clumpy poop right after breakfast, followed by half a clumpy poop to regular pellet poop a little while later this morning! :) :) Yay!

·
Registered
8 Posts

Welcome to TGS.
Hi...I am new too to goats, had them for only a year, so Im learning as I go...I do know that the best thing as milk replacers go, you have to use porks milk..not whole cow's milk.. You can find it at the Vet's its sold in powder and you mix it with water as you need it...it's better choice for goats, the kids love it...and no diarrhea....

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
you have to use porks milk..not whole cow's milk
I'm so glad you've found a product that works so well for you, and that your vet carries it.

But the truth is, whole milk does work fine. People who can't get your product don't have to worry that they can't use the whole milk from the regular store.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts