Bloat Treatment

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by NigerianDwarfOwner707, Jun 2, 2018.

1. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    NOTE: So I am going to start by saying that I have two wethers so any and all answers to my question should be answers specifically (or at least included with) for wethers. Thanks!

The most common bloat treatment is baking soda drench, or free choice baking soda. But I have boys, and I know that baking soda de-acidifies the urine making them more susceptible to urinary calculi. So I am wondering what to do if I notice that one of my goats is bloated, other than giving baking soda.

2. Lnegoatobsessed

Lnegoatobsessed Member

May 21, 2018
    I saw a YouTube video using Dr pepper. Maybe look it up? After I saw it I decided to keep it in mind. I'm new to goats so take what I say with a grain of salt.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You can use baking soda if they are actually bloated. You just don't want to put it out free choice.

goatblessings likes this.
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree, give the baking soda, as needed.

5. aJadeMagnolia

aJadeMagnolia Member

May 17, 2018
    Baking soda long-term is not a good idea for goats. But bloat is considered an emergency and can be serious so a temporary buffering of the proper acidity wouldn't be as much of a concern in an acute case of bloat.

There are many causes of bloat, and there are other treatment options. If you see a goat overeat, or if there has been a "grain raid" where they got into a bag or container and ate more than their normal ration, then the best thing to do is to try prevent the bloat from occurring in the first place. Administering ClostridEaze in such a case would be ideal for this. GI Soother by Fir Meadow also helps.

Paxxin is very helpful for certain types of bloat, often working within half an hour: http://www.allnaturalhorses.com/paxxin.html

A drench of strong peppermint tea is said to break up and help alleviate bloat.

In the old days, farmers tried to keep adequate fencing around fields that had too much clover and/or alfalfa and slowly introduce it little by little to get the herd's rumens adjusted to it. But once a hard frost hits legumes can become dangerous for ruminants. Sudden access to an abundance of frosted clover or frosted alfalfa can lead to serious frothy bloat.

I have successfully used ClostridEaze preventatively, and I once bought a doeling who had had too much grain right before I got her and successfully treated her bloat with Paxxin. No personal experience with baking soda, but I've seen many goats who were helped by it.

Baking soda is not something that should be thrown out as not useful, it has saved many a goat's life and is relatively easy to find. Pure baking soda is non-toxic and it really isn't going to harm a wether in a short-term situation like that. Far better to use baking soda than to risk letting the bloat go too far.

One of the concerns with providing baking soda long-term is that it is said to dissolve minerals and daily use can lead to mineral deficiencies. If you ever need to use it for an acute situation, you might consider providing extra kelp for several days afterwards to provide extra mineral supplementation to make up for what might've been lost with the baking soda.

Bloat can often be accompanied by acidosis, and kelp, being high in calcium, can also help prevent and treat acidosis.

6. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Definite bad advice in that link with saying to offer baking soda free choice. While some advice is timeless, other is not. Fiasco Farms hasn't owned goats in years so you need to verify any advice from their website with current info.