The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EF5A92C2-3761-46D5-A5D0-EE1A5796E8E7.jpeg 6D691D18-C542-4236-B3F6-0053E21E69AF.jpeg

I noticed one of my 3 year old Boer does yesterday morning was WAY bloated. she's not pregnant (we just weaned her kids off of her 3 weeks ago).

No fever (temp 101.9)

For sure peeing but now that I think about it I have yet to actually see her poop.

Shivering, especially in her rear end.

Her sides aren't hard like bloat, still easily manipulated/massaged.

I didn't think to check her eyelids until late last night - absolutely terrible color (I'm ashamed to say).

But she's still eating hay eagerly.

Yesterday morning I treated her with pepto, veggie oil, b complex, and probios. The bloat pic is from very early yesterday morning, the other pic is from a few hours later. We left home afterward and came back late and she was entirely bloated up again. I treated for her poor FAMACHA like I did the one time I had bottle jaw (ivermectin and safeguard with some red cell as well).

I'm at a loss. Should I give her some MOM this morning since I haven't actually seen her poop? Should I try therabloat?
Did she bloat back up cuz I left her in her stall? (Didn't want her getting into grain accidentally).

I'm heading out to the shed after I get done with this message to check her again (we retreated with pepto, probios and veggie oil last night). But I'm at a loss. What do you think?

·
Super Moderator
58,910 Posts
What is her temp? I'd go ahead and treat with MOM. If she is still bloated, then treat with therabloat too.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I'd try an enema before MOM. Some people here will use a calf tube feeder to do an enema to an adult and I think that's a great idea.

Edited to add, that @ksalvagno knows more than I do.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I found the following
"Therabloat Drench Concentrate Indications
Therabloat Drench Concentrate will relieve legume bloat in cattle within minutes when used as directed. For best results administer at the earliest sign of bloat. If bloat has progressed in its severity to the degree that the animal is down, other means of treatment also are recommended (rumenotomy-rumen puncture). For oral use only-not for injection. May be used in lactating animals.

Dosage: For animals up to 500 lb, use 1 fl oz of Drench Concentrate. For animals over 500 lb, use 2 fl oz of Drench Concentrate.

Directions for Preparing Drench: Add the proper amount of concentrate to 1 pint of water. Mix well and administer using a drenching bottle. If a stomach tube is to be used, add concentrate to 1 gallon of water."

I found it here
https://www.drugs.com/vet/therabloat-drench-concentrate.html

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found the following
"Therabloat Drench Concentrate Indications
Therabloat Drench Concentrate will relieve legume bloat in cattle within minutes when used as directed. For best results administer at the earliest sign of bloat. If bloat has progressed in its severity to the degree that the animal is down, other means of treatment also are recommended (rumenotomy-rumen puncture). For oral use only-not for injection. May be used in lactating animals.

Dosage: For animals up to 500 lb, use 1 fl oz of Drench Concentrate. For animals over 500 lb, use 2 fl oz of Drench Concentrate.

Directions for Preparing Drench: Add the proper amount of concentrate to 1 pint of water. Mix well and administer using a drenching bottle. If a stomach tube is to be used, add concentrate to 1 gallon of water."

I found it here
https://www.drugs.com/vet/therabloat-drench-concentrate.html
Fantastic!! Thank you SO MUCH!

·
Registered
623 Posts
One not terribly common cause of bloat in goats is E. coli-- if there's no obvious explanantion for the bloat, if the bloat persists, it's something to look at.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts