Bloat

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by StaceyRosado, Oct 6, 2007.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I personally don’t have much experience with bloat but her are some remedies/treatments

If you have a goat with bloat its leftside (rumen) will be tight and hard. You will want to relieve the pressure by giving baking soda mixed with a little water to make it soft. This baking soda ball you can stuff in the goats mouth and it won’t be able to spit it out so it must swallow it.

Rub and massage the rumen area. If it is a small kid you can hold it and bounce it like you would a colicy baby.

Keep up with the baking soda till you see or hear results. The goat should start burping passing gas and acting more comfortable

2. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) Guest

Oct 5, 2007
    You can also use mineral oil. Up to 200cc for an adult. Should see results quickly. It will help whatever is in the gut pass.

Make the goat walk.

If the goat is badly enlarged on both sides, it could be a twisted stomach.

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Julie, you have to be VERY VERY careful using mineral oil. I am not saying not to use it but the goats can not taste it, so they will aspirate on it, and you will have a goat that has choked to death. So IF you use it, add somethings with flavor to it like Goat Aid or Gatorade. That way the goat knows to swallow it and not breath it in.

I had a Buck boat this year (first case of bloat ever). he was really bad, and for a few days. The vet finally said to use Threa Bloat on him. Mix it with water, a half a bottle. That is what finally pulled him totally out of it.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Thea Bloat

is that for humans or an animal "med"

5. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) Guest

Oct 5, 2007
    We tube it or give it little bits at a time over several minutes.

6. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) Guest

Oct 5, 2007
    It's Thera Bloat. If you do use it or have already used mineral oil, don't use them both. It says not to on the bottle.

7. sunshineandtulip

sunshineandtulip New Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Missouri Ozarks
    I use olive oil instead mineral oil because it has a flavor to it and works the same. Just not as cheap.