Bloat!!!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by PotterWatch, Mar 28, 2009.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    So. California
    Bella has bloat. I stupidly did not notice until after she had had her grain during evening milking. I had just got home from working for 13hrs and wasn't paying close enough attention. She has some rumenal sounds (is that what you call it?), and through walking, massaging, oil, and baking soda, we have gotten her to burp quite a number of times but she still looks really big and isn't acting her normal self. At what point can I stop walking her around and rubbing her to get her to burp? We tried tubing her (my husband is a paramedic and we looked up diagrams and such online first), but it didn't seem to release any gas. Is there anything else we can do? She is one of my first goats, we have had them since November, so I am totally new at this and very worried we will lose her to this.

2. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    I sure wish I could help. :( But I will be praying! :pray:

3. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    25cc of Milk of Magnesia or 30cc-60cc of oil but I don't know if it's mineral or vegetable. How much oil did you give her? I posted on BYC for you too.

ETA: I'm no expert just something I read on another goat website.

4. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

get as much baking soda in her as you can, handfuls of it. The walking is great keep her moving. dont let her lay down. You can try poking a needle into her rumen but i have only done that in an absolute emergency....just keep doing what your doing.
    beth

5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    So. California
    Does the baking soda still work if I make it into a thin paste and then give it to her? It's much easier to do that than try and get the balls of it down.

6. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    :pray: :pray: :pray: oh please let her be ok

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

If you have to but make sure you limit her water, kind of like a horse with colic water tends to make things worse....you need to limit her water intake until after the problem is gone. She can have small amount of warm water now but make sure its just a little. I usually just take handfuls of baking soda and pry their mouth open dump it in the mouth with their head up and hold their mouth shut until im sure they have swallowed most of it. two or three handfuls usually does it. They hate it and some will puff out. But its the fastest most efficiant way i can get it done them.
    beth

8. PotterWatch

PotterWatch New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    So. California
    We've been working on her since about 7:30, so just over three hours and we really haven't seen any improvement. My husband just went to the store to get some gas x to see if that will help. :(

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

has she pooped or pee'd at all? do you have any mineral oil? If you can get about fourty cc's of mineral oil in her that would help to move things along.
    beth

10. PotterWatch

PotterWatch New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    So. California
    She has peed a number of times and pooped at least twice that I have seen. Everything looks normal. I don't have any mineral oil but I did give her some vegetable oil when we first started this a few hours ago.

11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

thats good that things are coming out. as long as she is peeing and pooping her gut hasnt twisted. Which is basically a death sentance if you dont have a vet there.
    Do you have any milk of magenesia? If its frothy bloat this will help more them gas ex will.
    Beth

12. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    You need to use mineral oil. How's your girl?

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how is everything? I hope all the stuff you gave her finally started to kick in :pray:

14. PotterWatch

PotterWatch New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    So. California
    She is still blown up like a beach ball and acting miserable this morning. I spent last night walking her around (dragging sometimes as she really just wanted to go to sleep), rubbing and thumping on her belly. I got her to burp a fair amount, but it never seemed to do any good. I'm not sure what else to do at this point. She is in just about the same state we started with.

15. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Sitting here hoping someone on here can give you some more good advice soon.....I have never experienced bloat with my guys.....if it were me I think I would call a vet at this point if at all possible.....praying for your Bella :pray: :pray: !

16. PotterWatch

PotterWatch New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    So. California
    I can try calling a vet but frankly I don't know that it would do any good. We are in the suburbs and I have yet to find a vet around here who has actually seen a goat in practice. There is one that is willing to look at goats, but it would be a first for them.

17. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    AHHHH.....I am so sorry....I am blessed to have a vet that deals with goats. Are you still giving her good amounts of the baking soda?

18. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
  19. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Was wondering how Bella is doing?

20. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    keep up the baking soda. Do you know what caused the bloat? was it extra feed or a change in diet?