bloat

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Coraxfeather, May 26, 2009.

1. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    We just lost two goat to bloat. None of the other goats or animals on the farm have any signs of bloat. We took the hay blail out of the pasture just in case there was something in the bail that we did nto know about. We just lost one of our best breeder doe and also a mini fainter herd buck. Is there anything else we should be looking for around the pasture. We have already gone over the goat field with a fine comb. We do nto know what caused the bloat and money is tight right now so we can nto get a ecropsty (sp). can anyone let us knwo what else could have cause the bloat.

2. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    alfalfa hay caused bloat in my goats. Certain hays and feeds will do that.

Sorry about your losses. :hug:

3. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    dont know what causes it, but do you offer Bicarb(bakin soda) free choice?

4. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    We know about that and the hay we give them is low in alpha and they get the same feed they get all the time. We have looked over all the normal causes but have not found none. Now we are looking for the abnormal causes.

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It's been raining a good bit here Ann....are they overindulging on the wet pasture? Some animals can be really sensitive to that.
    Sorry you lost the 2....I would offer a dish of baking soda to all of them, just to be on the safe side :hug:

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Liz....it could very well be that.......baking soda will help....

I am so sorry for your loss........ :hug:

7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I agree with Liz on the overindulging in fresh green grass.

The other thing I would be suspicious of, is lots of weeds in the hay which are causing the upset. I've had that problem before

So sorry for your loss :( :hug:

8. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    gave the hay to the horses and we now have gotten hay from a guy that only raises hay for his goats. Thankfully it was not given to our yearlings or babies. We tore though the hay bale and found a thistle in there that is not good for goats. We are no longer getting hay from him. We are going to buy from that guy that raises hay just for goats.