Bloat???

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by DebMc, Apr 15, 2010.

1. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I've never had a sick goat before so I could use some insight from those who have. It's Mitsy, my 4-m.o. Silky X Fainter doeling. :( The main symptom is lethargy. She just stands there w/her head out and hung low. Her tail quivers at times. She has no interest in eating but is drinking. She also had some clear mucous coming out of her nose but usually does - think it's the dust here. I went to take her temp but our digital thermometer is dead....will have to run into town to pick up a new one.

I think Mitsy may have a mild case of bloat. She's a chunkster so always has a big, fully tummy. It doesn't feel any tighter than usual but when I massage it she paws the ground w/her front left leg as though she's feeling pain. I gave her some Priobios, 5cc, and some baking soda balls. I also tried to give her some electrolytes but she wouldn't take it - doesn't seem to like the taste(Orange Gatorade in Smarte water).

Right now I'm headed into town to pick up a shipment of live goslings. I'll take Mitsy's temp as soon as I get home with the new thermometer. If anyone has any suggestions or comments, please post them and I'll check the board when I get back.

Thanks in advance,

Deb Mc

2. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Diet: timXalf pellets cut 50/50 with Senior Equine pellets, topped w/Goat Chow cut w/BOSS. She also gets freshly clipped browse daily, which has been Dodoneas for the past several weeks. Last night I did give the girls a couple flakes of tim hay. Doesn't look like they ate much of it...my goats don't like grass hay or grass, period.

As far as meds go, I have the following on hand: Priobiotics, B-Complex, Selenium caps, Agri-cillin and Bio-Mycin 200.

Deb Mc

3. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    For bloat you can give them baking soda. If she won't take it, mix a little water with it to make it into a couple large size balls. Stuff them into her mouth. Be forwarned she will act like your killing her and spit and spudder but she should swallow enough to do some good.

Check her eyelids for the color. They should be bright pinky red. If light pink or white you have a worm over load and she needs to be wormed. Cocci will also cause her not to feel good but at 4 months old you would ususlly see scouring. Lice will cause light eyelids. Do you see her scratching or biting her sides/body?

Probios may help if its the fresh greens causing a bit of upset and will not hurt if she doesnt exactly need them. I give probios for everything.

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I also keep Bloat Guard on hand in case the baking soda does not work.

I also keep a bloat block out for all the goat out eat when they need it.

She needs to be walked, need to keep that gas moving or she will get toxic. But really we will not know a lot until we have that temp. She could be getting pneumonia.

5. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Don't think it's bloat. Her temp is 107.7 :shocked: - took it twice and the second time it was 107.2. Need to put her in the tub, when her temp goes down I will call the vet back and take her in.

Deb Mc

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH know. :GAAH: I hope she is going to be ok. Please let us know. Sending :pray:

7. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I got Mitsy's temp down to 103.4. Took 30 minutes in the tub.The vet had me take another goat's temp to check the accuracy of our new thermometer and it was 102.8. I took my own temp, after washing it off with soap and water, and it was right on for me, too. So it appears to be accurate, indicating Mitsy probably has an infection of some sort. Am now waiting for the vet to call me back. It's such a long drive there, they may prescribe some antibiotics and have me keep on top her temp as the next line of action instead of trying to bring her in.

Meanwhile, I have 3 baby geese lost out there somewhere courtesy of the USPS. They were shipped to me last night and should have arrived this morning. The sender/breeder happens to work for the USPS so, thankfully, is taking the lead in trying to track them down. Back to Mitsy.

Deb Mc

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Sounds like pneumonia to me.... I would get nuflor and banamine from your vet ....right away..... They work quite quickly and gets that temp down and also stimulates appetite..... :hug:

The bloating could be due to... diet ....worms or cocci.... having a fecal done it will let you know.... :hug:

9. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Oh... some B complex orally wouldn't hurt either. I always give B complex when any of my goats seem "off" it will help her to perk up a bit on top off the antibiotics. :) Hope she gets better soon and hope you find the goslings!!! :hug:

10. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Thanks for the suggestions, all.

I gave her Bio-Mycin IM, Corid (that's all the closest feed shop had), oral B-Complex and 6 aspirins, then put her back in the tub for another 20 mins. She's not very happy w/me to say the least. That she has such strength to struggle, I guess, is a good sign. It's hard to believe she's so ill. Mitsy's such a chunky-healthy lil' spitfire...I sure hope she's going to be okay. I :love: her so.

How long should I keep her in isolation?

I'm going to have a full fecal done on all 5 goats. It's going to be fun trying to get a fresh sample from each of them. That'll have to wait until Monday, unfortunately, as I don't want to leave Mitsy for any length of time and then there's the goslings. Still no word...lost in the USPS Express mail system. :(

Deb Mc

11. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    Oh, dear! Sending :pray: for Mitsy's quick recovery and the goslings to be found.

12. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    Have your vet check her for sinusitis too . . . I saw a goat die from that this winter. It got so bad that her snot and spit turned black and smelled like poop. It was terrible. :tears:

What color is the snot coming out of her nose? If it's clear then her sinuses are fine, but if it's yellow, green, or brown then you've got a sinus infection on your hands.

It's good that you're going to take her to the vet. With a temp that high you don't want to mess around.

Please let us know what he/she says and does to treat her! I hope she will be ok :hug:

13. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Her twin, Angel, has it, too. :cry: I think it's pneumonia. Mitsy's nasal discharge is green today, whereas it was clear yesterday, and she's also congested now. I think I'm going to give them another shot of Bio-Mycin this afternoon. I read that re goats, you can give them a smaller dose daily or every 36 hours in order keep the antibiotic in their system. I don't know what else to do at this point. :shrug:

Deb Mc