The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help... broughty bottle baby in at last feeding... she wouldn’t take her bottle, was not playful or eager for milk either.... I took. Temp and it was 98.1... moved her inside... hoodie tent with hair drier... temp went from to 99.1 then to 101.1 .... she is warmed up now... tummy isn’t hard or destined... but saliva from mouth and restless... breathing heavy too.... lungs sounds clear..... FAMANCHA is 1-2 ... treat for bloat? Mineral oil drench?

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
I'd do CD antitoxin first and foremost. 5cc's sub q.
No milk for at least 12-24 hours use electrolytes instead. Then start slowly giving her milk again with a pinch of baking soda in the first bottle.
How much does she weigh, how much milk was she getting and ho w often?
Keep monitoring her temp.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd do CD antitoxin first and foremost. 5cc's sub q.
No milk for at least 12-24 hours use electrolytes instead. Then start slowly giving her milk again with a pinch of baking soda in the first bottle.
How much does she weigh, how much milk was she getting and ho w often?
Keep monitoring her temp.
Thanks... I was able to get her figured out last night... I ended up treating for bloat with milk of magnesia.. 5ccs.... her temp was 102 at treatment. She pooped finally about 20 mins after and then a few more times up until 2:20am. I cleaned her up... her temp at 2:20 was 103.8.... I held off of ibuprofen because I had taken temp shortly after bowel movement and the heater was higher in that room. At 4:30 I saw my husband off for work and checked again... she was eager to eat and temp was 103. I did give her a bottle but she only took about 4 oz. she is awake now, about to grab temp and offer bottle. I do have some electrolytes on hand I think.... I will def be putting baking soda in all future bottles. And she wlll be offered hay only after today for a few days.. she will be going back outside once it warms up and she can prove her temp is back to normal after a few more hoursz thanks for you help! I am also going to probably give some b12 and probios to help with tummy.... I don't have CD antitoxin

·
14,760 Posts
Good job getting her figured out. Did her belly feel hard/full where it was actually bloat or was she possibly just severely constipated? It seems constipation is very common in bottle babies.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good job getting her figured out. Did her belly feel hard/full where it was actually bloat or was she possibly just severely constipated? It seems constipation is very common in bottle babies.
Thanks! I am glad she is better too. I gave electrolytes and small portions of milk today... she did have some weird poops but I'm chalking it up to the milk of magnesia.... running fecal tomorrow after I see what the probios and the electrolytes do to improve the gut. Her belly wasn't "hard" but did the thump test and it sounds more solid than relaxed... maybe it was the moments right before the severe bloat came on?? Not sure but I have never been so thankful to see her pooping everywhere! lol I guess being a mom to anything, humans to animals, means moments of crazy poops! Lol!! Anyway... I am thankful she is better... about to go check on her before I hit the hay and take temp and offer a little more electrolytes. Thanks guys for all your help! Means the world!!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Is pooping a great sign? My girl that I thought might have bloat, pooped about 4 times in less than 10 minutes. All normal, but that was a lot in a short time-span. Maybe she was a bit constipated more than bloat. I'm always happy to see normal poop, means guts are working and body is processing food, right?

·
8,199 Posts
Pooping is good! Food in, poop out. They always go a lot, until you want to collect a new and clean sample for a fecal. Then they seem to never go!

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
She may of been compacted and it is finally breaking loose.

Pooping a lot is good.

Keep an eye on it, but sounds like things are working good now.

Probiotics and fortified vit B complex SQ for a few days helps, get her back on track.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts