The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6 week old Pygmy wether who seems very uncomfortable. for the last couple days he has had a very tight stomach, walking stiffly and has difficulty laying down. He’s not wanting to run or be very playful with his other little buddy. He can’t finish his bottles. Also, I’ve noticed he is aspirating with his bottles.
He is bottle fed. Has not been wormed or had shots yet
I have already....
given him 2 bottles with 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda. Which he hasn’t finished
Enemas with both soapy water and mineral oil which have produces some waste which was all very hard
Pedialyte in his bottle this morning
Pepto this morning about 3 hours ago about 4 ml
I need help!! No relief so far

·
Registered
25 Posts
You can try to relieve the bloat right before feeding by putting him on is hind legs with his body, neck, and head as vertical as you can get. Then lift the muzzle up and gently rub his throat. Usually it will help excess gas escape immediately, you will know if it is working because you will feel and hear the gas coming up. Do not press on the stomach while doing it. It might not get all the gas out but it usually get enough to get food and water in. When I had my Nigerian dwarfs that was the best quick treatment of bloat I could find. Baking soda is one of the best things to get rid of bloat but try putting it in a bottle of water and not the milk. Could try mixing a bit in with the Pedialyte since it would work better to disguise the taste.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I called an emergency vet yesterday and it turns out the little guy has tetanus ☹ Apparently the farm we got him from did not give him a tetanus shot before he was banded. We are treating him as he can still walk and is taking a bottle somewhat fine. They warned me tetanus is usually something goats can’t come back from
He’s been in meds for about 18 hrs now and he hasn’t gotten any worse so we r praying for a miracle. anyone heard recovery stories of goats with tetanus??

·
Registered
25 Posts
That actually makes a lot more sense with the symtoms. If he can still move and get at least some fluids and milk in then he should have a fair chance at least. Tetanus only gets truly hopeless when they can no longer move cause by that point they usually can't swallow at all and must be tube fed. You might want to try gently massaging his belly every hour or so to help his rumen stay active. Especially if the vet prescribed a sedative as part of the treatment. I have heard of several goats successfully surviving tetanus if it is caught early enough. Main thing is to make sure he stays hydrated. In the future it would probably be a good idea to give a tetanus booster (or even just go ahead and do the CDT) any time you get a new goat even if the people you bought them from say they are up to date. In my experience they usually are not.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That actually makes a lot more sense with the symtoms. If he can still move and get at least some fluids and milk in then he should have a fair chance at least. Tetanus only gets truly hopeless when they can no longer move cause by that point they usually can't swallow at all and must be tube fed. You might want to try gently massaging his belly every hour or so to help his rumen stay active. Especially if the vet prescribed a sedative as part of the treatment. I have heard of several goats successfully surviving tetanus if it is caught early enough. Main thing is to make sure he stays hydrated. In the future it would probably be a good idea to give a tetanus booster (or even just go ahead and do the CDT) any time you get a new goat even if the people you bought them from say they are up to date. In my experience they usually are not.
Thanks for the hope! His belly isn't as tight today which is awesome! I just walked out to him and he stood up against his gate to greet me. he's drank at least 3 bottle of pedialyte and water since seeing the vet I saw him urinate this morn and his temp is down from 105.3 to 104.3 this morning!
He's a lot more vocal this morning. He didn't make a peep yesterday

·
Registered
25 Posts
Goats seem to have a much better survival rate for tetanus than cows or horses. The main challenge is keeping them alive and functional for the treatment and their immune system to fight off the disease. Did the vet give antibiotics too? It is possible he might have gotten a minor infection from the banding too which could be driving up the fever. I have yet to have a goat that was banded not get some kind of infection even when doing everything to keep it clean. On its own it isn't usually that bad but add tetnus to the mix and it would just make it a that much rougher recovery.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Goats seem to have a much better survival rate for tetanus than cows or horses. The main challenge is keeping them alive and functional for the treatment and their immune system to fight off the disease. Did the vet give antibiotics too? It is possible he might have gotten a minor infection from the banding too which could be driving up the fever. I have yet to have a goat that was banded not get some kind of infection even when doing everything to keep it clean. On its own it isn't usually that bad but add tetnus to the mix and it would just make it a that much rougher recovery.
The vet gave him penicillin, Nuflor and flu Nixon. She went ahead and cut off the band and the rest of his boy parts. Cleaned it up real well

·
Registered
25 Posts
That is good since it means he is only fighting off the tetanus infection and not other infections at the same time and is not going to be at risk of getting other infections the same way. If his temperature is going down that quickly and he is getting more active then at this point he has an extremely high chance of a full recovery unless he has a freak turn for the worst.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is good since it means he is only fighting off the tetanus infection and not other infections at the same time and is not going to be at risk of getting other infections the same way. If his temperature is going down that quickly and he is getting more active then at this point he has an extremely high chance of a full recovery unless he has a freak turn for the worst.
I hope u are right!! Down a little more 103.3. He won't stop eating his hay and is finally laying down today to rest

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
Give high dosed of vit c as well. Helpsnboost immune. We got a baby donjeybthrough tetanus. Was a long road to recovery..good job on getting him help. I'm assuming he also gave the tetanus antitoxin?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Give high dosed of vit c as well. Helpsnboost immune. We got a baby donjeybthrough tetanus. Was a long road to recovery..good job on getting him help. I'm assuming he also gave the tetanus antitoxin?
Yes she did. How long was recovery for u? Was it awhile for his muscles to relax? He's done with meds tomorrow which seems quick like he should be on them longer.

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
Reactions: toth boer goats
1 - 19 of 19 Posts