The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
20130711_171226.jpg

20130711_104852.jpg

20130711_104859.jpg My 4 1/2 year old females stomach is swollen. She is not pregnant. Ive had her for 8 months. This is day 3. She had baking soda available and is not interested. She is eating and drinking and having bowel movements(which are normal). She is being fed alph alpha and grain(about a cup a day I use it as treats). Acting normal, jumping up on her pallets. Both sides are huge though. Her sides are soft and not drum like when I rap on it. Although she is sick of my trying to manually make her pass gas. She is not kicking or grinding her teeth. I dont know what to do. Please help with any information. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
Put some baking soda in her mouth or make a baking soda/ water drench.

If you feel she is really bloaty, give Human Gas X,1 to 2 massage her left side(Rumen) put her front hooves up 12 inches, massage her and her throat from under her chin to down the base of her neck, then walk, repeat.

But, the way I see it, she has a healthy rumen, she is not extended way out and above the left rib cage. Is this at the end of the day and then in the morning she is back to normal?

·
Registered
30,610 Posts
I agree with Pam..looks like a healthy rumen..
Bloat bellies will be super tight like a drum,, up higher than the back...goat will be miserable..this goat-link article show a goat with bloat to show you what I mean...
http://goat-link.com/content/view/96/27/#.UeBk1WSDTL8

If I need to treat for dry bloat I put 1/2-1 teaspoon baking soda in enough water to drench..message left side, bounce the tummy, walk walk walk more messaging until I hear rumen action : )

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys.I have been on the phone all day with vets. We have dont have anyone in the area that treats goat. She normally inflates after meals and deflates hours later. My other girl stays pretty consistent in her belly buldge. I have just never seen her this large. Especially for 3 days. I think I might actually.be able to sleep tonight. First picture was about 10am after feeding second and third picture were approximately 330pm. Just now she deflated to what I consider her normal size. I fed her small amountof hay and she bloated right back up to her little beach ball side. Not terribly but almost in 5 min. I think this girl is trying to scare me to death. I have just been watching her for hours. One vet told me try maylox another told me to not to use pepto and another told me to buy special bloat drench he had. :rolleyes: another just told me good luck so hard to deciefer what is right.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Ok a few things. One, are you feeding a new hay? A super high protein alfalfa can cause this each time they eat it. If there isnt enough stem (fiber) in a high quality alfalfa it can happen very easily. Bloat is the forming of thousands of tiny bubbles that cant be popped and in turn just stay in the stomach and keep building up till all available space in the body cavity is filled and the animal more or less suffocates to death or its stomach bursts.

If you are feeding new hay, id look into feeding less and if possible, split it into twice a day feeding. Id cut the grain out for the time being. If they are getting feed elsewhere Id try to cut the hay back a bit. A full sized dairy goat only needs 1 flake of dairy quality alfalfa a day and thats with no access to other feeds other then grain when being milked.

Now there is a super easy way to deal with bloat. Put a table spoon amount of dish soap into a mason jar (or what ever you have) of warm water and mix. The exact amounts dont matter. Can be more or less of either. Though I think Id never do more soap in less water. In any event, take a dosing syringe, fill and does the bloated goat 4-8 times. Make sure to not force their heads back while doing so or you could get the soap water into the lungs and that will either kill them or cause instant pneumonia. After you does them, elevate their front half by making em stand on something like a cinder block or a door threshold. Rub and massage and even pat. What the soap does (and is perfectly safe as dish soap is more or less the same thing as Therabloat) is it mixes with the tiny bubbles and makes larger bubbles that the animal can then burp and pop. Thats what the rub/massage/pat does. The elevation is of course to make it easier to gather the trapped air to be burped.

·
Registered
30,610 Posts
how fertilized is your hay lately?? One year we got hay in that was fertilized way too heavy...my girls stayed bloated...we ended up having to break the bales open and let them air out and cure before feeding it to them....

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
By looking at the photos again, I am not really seeing any dangerous levels of bloat. It would be more extended higher on the stomach side in typical situations. I am sure she is producing the froth but in these pictures it doesnt look to bad. Not sure if it was worse at a different time then these pics or if this is as bad as it gets.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thank again everyone!!! I love the support on this site. Their hay is loose in the loftand it Is from last year. We moved it from a friends house after the bales broke open. She was high on her rumen side where the ball crested her spine maybe an inch but it would drop to where it was on her in the pics. She wouldnt chew her cud,burp, or pass wind just get up lay down get up lay down. She was just not herself. I did end up giving her some baking soda last night after no sounds all day.Rubbed her while elevated and walked her. Oh boy that did the trick. Her belly started making gurgling noises and she was burping on me. Stayed in the barn till midnight. Let the ladies out this.morning and my happy girl is back chewing her cud and begging for rubs. Listened to her belly an we.have gurgling guts.Im getting some timothy hay from my friend later today. Now thats she acting like her lovely self today I will relax. So in the future I dont need to freak out unless her side is so large and tight that it rises.above the spine and she is in distress is my understanding from your help. I want to start breeding my ladies but after this I think I need to learn a lot more before I put little goaties on our farm.Thank you again everyone from the bottom of my heart!!! Oreo thanks you too!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts