The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3 year old Doe who got out into the wheat field beside my house and seems to have gotten bloat. I've tried everything from baking soda, oil, massage, and elevating her front end. She's recently developed scours, and I've been having a tough time keeping her hydrated because of it. It is Sunday today, so I don't have access to a vet right now, or tomorrow since its a holiday. She doesn't seem to want to get up to eat or drink so I've been going out there every 45 mins to an hour to get her up to drink. Her belly doesn't seem as distended as it was, but her tongue is blue. I was listening to her left side and I did hear some gurgling. At this point I'm not sure what to do without access to a vet. :( any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
If it is bloat, get a 20 oz bottle or so, fill mostly with warm water and then a couple of squirts of liquid dish soap. Swish around and then drench the doe. Doesnt have to take it all, half of it or so. Elevate and message, tap, drum wiggle her sides. THOUGH bloat usually hits hard and fast. So this might just be over eating. Worth a try though.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
2 Gas X works well, give mineral oil with something in it to flavor, so it isn't aspirated. maybe mix baking soda/water with it. Give slowly
walk, massage,knead,left side, elevate front 12 in, walk.

Massage her throat from under her chin to the base of the neck.
Repeat all until there is relief, you want burps and farts.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
If all this fails then you will have to run a tube down her throat. If she starts looking elthargic, no burping, minimal rumen noise and no improvement in belly size then definitely tube her. You'll want something about half the size of a garden, maybe a little more than that. It also needs to be hollow. Make sure the edges are not rough. There are youtube videos on this telling you how and how to be sure you don't hit a lung.

Its a very delicate procedure. I actually just dealt with this last night. I had to tube my girl four times before she was fully relieved and we are still working on cleaning her out. She got into chicken feed

ETA: We had never done this before. I called my judging coach for instruction, watched a youtube video and read an article. I used an air compressor hose

1 - 11 of 11 Posts