The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a goat recovering from polio and is extremely bloated. I suggested baking soda but she said the bloat just got worse when she tried it. That has never happened to me. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Is the goat in distress? Labored breathing? Kicking at sides? Not eating? The rumen is as hard as a basketball and rising higher than the spine?

Elevate the front legs on a stool/block and massage the left side high behind the ribs HARD! This should elicit some burping. Then get a commercial product called "Bloat Release" or similar from feed store if possible.

If it is not as critical as the above symptoms, it doesn't sound like true bloat which is a critical emergency. Perhaps the abdomen is just distended from a grazing/hay eating feast after recovery?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have always used baking soda or a mineral oil/ baking soda mix. This lady with the goat is up in northern B.C. and I have been communicating with her on another goat site. She only was informed the goat was sick after it had been a few days , as the goat was at her Mom's. Then they treated the goat with Pen G that was 8 years old ( yikes!) because they didn't know if it was listeriousis ( sp) or polio. Her Mom keeps all meds she has bought and who knows how old or how they were kept. When they figured it was polio, then they stopped the Pen G. The vet couldn't come out to where they lived because I suppose it was a matter that he hadn't been paid by this lady's Mom for services he did there before! Well, I believe that goat got put down before she died of bloat. Just makes me shake my head at all the responsible people out there that keep animals !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts