bloated goat's HELP!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by goatlover, Mar 9, 2011.

1. goatlover

goatlover New Member

Mar 6, 2009
    ID
    my goats got out yesterday and tipped my grain bucket over and ate almost half the 50lb bag. I didn't find out until today that they got into the grain and now there all shivering and have really bad diarrhea. although most of them haven't bloated yet. I hope they'll be allright :pray: please if anyone has any info on what to give them for bloat :help:
    thank you

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If they are up and moving around and have not bloated, the diarrhea is good for them to have, keep plenty of fresh water available for them, the biggest issue if they haven't bloated would be acidosis, you'll need to give them baking soda balls asap

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Liz...

give large amounts of baking soda ...give Pepto Bismol... to coat the tummy... I have heard... giving large amounts of oil....such as...canola, safflower, olive, mineral ...

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16740&hilit=rush+sick&start=15 ...Also some use soap it's 40cc of warm water and 10 cc of soap.

Give a C&D ANTITOXIN (NOT toxoid!)

do not give any grain for quite a while.....

4. goatlover

goatlover New Member

Mar 6, 2009
    ID
    Okay first thank you guys for responding so quickly. We did give all of them the baking soda, and the rest are looking okay, but one of my doe's isn't eating, at first I thought maybe the other goats wouldn't let her eat so I tried giving her a separate pile and then even feeding her out of my hand and she seemed interested at first, but then she didn't eat it and went back to her corner in the barn.
    Any suggestions on what I should do?
    thanks

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California