The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really worried. Today as I was trimming my goats hooves, I noticed both of them were a little fatter on their left sides. I googled it and found out that it was a symptom of bloat in goats. Lylah's left side was very hard, but Snicker's was more mushy. The only thing I found could help was if I massaged their left side. I did it to both of them and they both burped about five times each. I left a plate of baking soda out with them too. What else can I do to help them? I CANNOT let them die!:( Help!:(

·
14,615 Posts
The left side is the rumen side. It is always bigger. So long as it's not high up & hard.
A bloated goat will want to lay down & act off.
If Lylah's was hard you did the right thing by massaging & leaving out some baking soda.;)

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Syringe some type of oil down them. I used olive oil recently, 10-20ml's, and a similar amount of GasX. Also, drenched baking soda. Then I rubbed and massaged quite a lot. Pretty soon she belched and farted! I was so happy. Mine was all over in an hour...you may have to elevate her front legs. But, since she's "passed gas" she should be better. Keep an eye on her in case she has another bout. :pray:

·
Super Moderator
59,791 Posts
If you are new to goats, just watch them throughout the day and see what their bellies look like. Sometimes people think they are bloated when they really just have a good rumen going. The best way to figure this out is to know what your goats look like both when rumens are full and when they aren't.

·
Registered
31,508 Posts
Karenis right...I have some goats who always look painfully bloated but arnt, knowing their normal looks help reduce our stress lol...keeping baking soda out is a good idea and if you fear bloat...gie about 1/2 teaspoon or so of baking soda in enough water to drench...message and bounce tummy and walk walk walk...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts