The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new ND owner and I'm concerned about their bellies being bloated. They are 4 months old and eat grain twice a day, minerals, and hay. I've tried using baking soda, they won't eat it and I've tried Albon, which doesn't seem to make a difference either. Help????
Should I cut back on hay?

·
Super Moderator
58,887 Posts
Sounds like it might be a good rumen. If you cut down on anything, I would cut down on grain.

Are they showing any signs of distress or pain? Is their poop normal? What is their temps?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They do not demonstrate any signs of distress, except they just look uncomfortable at times because their bellies stick what looks like into their ribs. So when they are dopey it looks like they run funny just to accommodate their bloated bellies.
They always seem starving so cutting back would be torture to them.
Would you recommend less grain or hay?
Thank you for responding :)

·
Super Moderator
58,887 Posts
Exactly how much grain are you feeding per day? I wouldn't cut back on hay.

At 4 months old, they have a lot of growing to do so you want to make sure they do have food.

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
I agree with Karen...always cut grain before hay ;) Hay and graze should always be their main course.
Also if you feel their tummies...paying extra attention ont he left side...does it feel hard, if you thump it does it sound like a drum..?? Does the belleis raise up high above the spine?
I have two lamancha kid does who I was treating for bloat daily, I learned it was just who they were...big strong rumens..
If you can take a pic of them we can give our thoughts on them...

·
Super Moderator
58,887 Posts
You could cut them down to 1/2 cup once a day. As long as they have free choice loose minerals, they should be fine.

What type of hay are you feeding?

Neither looks bloated to me. Just a good rumen going.

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
I agree..they look good. And cutting feed back a bit might help reduce the gss build up..

·
Registered
153 Posts
My almost 7 month old nigerian dwarf doe looks like your brown goat by the end of every day. Very full tummy. Our wether, not so much.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts