Featured Bloated goats

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by GoatCrazy01, Oct 1, 2017.

1. GoatCrazy01

GoatCrazy01 Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Michigan
    My goats escaped their pen today and got into their grain and hay. Smh.. crazy animals:confused: They are quite fat. Should I give them anything?

catharina likes this.
  2. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    NC
    I would just keep an eye on them. Watch for scouring, acting in pain, bloating up, etc.

If they aren't up to date on CDT, then giving everyone a dose of C&D antitoxin would be a good idea.

3. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Active Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    When mine used to get into feed (and at one time they did quite a lot, little boogers :confused:) I'd give them baking soda, which I'd read on the internet would help bloat.

catharina likes this.
  4. IHEARTGOATS

IHEARTGOATS Active Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Zebulon, NC
    X2

Madgoat likes this.
  5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Lock that grain up & no more until the bloat has subsided.
    Classic bloat is when the rumen on the left side is very large & high up.
    In that case baking soda balls made with just enough water to form them. You will wear more than they can get down.
    Walk victim stop now & then to massage left side vigorously. They need to burp & pass gas. Do not let them lay down.
    You can also give oh, a half cup any kind of cooking oil. This will make for some very loose bms for a day or two. Continue leaving hay out.

Goat_Scout likes this.
  6. JillP

JillP New Member

Aug 9, 2017
    I'm having trouble being able to just start a new thread. . It will only let me post on existing threads for some reason.??
    Poop color is black

Attached Files:

7. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    I'm sure they look different to you on your in but from the pics what I see they don't look to bad. I have 3 Guys whose stomach looks worse than that and has for some time. Maybe just their nature? just watch them closely and notice their actions with b/m and maybe crying out from pain. in which case I told , warm dark beer will work wonders as a drench. jmo

8. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    NC
    Does he ever have a large stomach in the morning or is it just in the afternoon/evening?

9. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    NC
    Or just a needle. But I'm wondering if this is just a case of a highly active rumen if it's happening daily.

10. JillP

JillP New Member

Aug 9, 2017
    More so in the evening, and . . Knife & straw or needle? That's just freaking me out!! Think the vet is the best place for me to land if that's the case!
    Again, he doesn't seem to be in pain, and he is up and moving. . .

CrazyDogLady likes this.
  11. JillP

JillP New Member

Aug 9, 2017
    That sounds way better than knife & straw!!

12. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Active Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana

Your little buckling reminds me of what my first Mini-Lamancha buckling looked like when he was 2-4 months old. He had the roundest belly ever, but other than that he acted completely normal. Our friends who had had goats longer than we had told us that it was normal, and nothing to worry about. He eventually outgrew it.

13. JillP

JillP New Member

Aug 9, 2017
    Well that may just be the best news I've heard all day!! Am still going to adjust some feeding over the next week or 2. .
    Thanks very much, I was about in tears today thinking I was doing something horribly wrong for them!

Goat_Scout likes this.
  14. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Active Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    *hugs* Our goats sure can make us worry sometimes! :)

And you mentioned before that his belly is larger in the evenings... that could be partly because his rumen is full from eating/grazing/foraging all day.

One time a few weeks ago, one of my does (who is usually pretty thick) was looking a bit thin. I hardly ever feed her, and when I do, it's just a handful of alfalfa pellets or something.
    Well, for three days I gave her 2-3 cups of alfalfa pellets/grain in the evenings, and on the third day she looked about ready to pop. And she hadn't gotten into any feed or anything, just what I myself had fed her. That is just how that particular doe is! She gets big so easily!

15. JillP

JillP New Member

Aug 9, 2017
    You hardly ever feed her. .oh my. . That for sure makes me think I am over feeding mine! Lol

Goat_Scout likes this.
  16. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Active Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    It depends on the goat. :) I have another one who has been skinny and runty since she was a 2-3 month old kid. We found out that she had Barber Pole worms in June, and treated her accordingly (previously we'd treated her for other kinds of worms too). We've been feeding her 2-3 cups of grain/alfalfa pellets twice a day since, and she's still too thin for my taste, LOL! Her mama was the same way, so it runs in the family unfortunately.

17. TGS

TGS Administrator

Sep 6, 2012
    Are you getting an error message? If so, what does it say? Which forum are you having issues with?

18. Quinn Gehler

Quinn Gehler New Member

Oct 4, 2017
    From what it sounds like it is just hay belly. There's nothing wrong. No need to worry. Maybe a little less hay.