The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goat sassy had a small pool of blood by her last night when she go to up so we have been watching her closely today. Just an hour or so we noticed 2 smaller pools of clear liquid where she was standing. She may be pregnant but isn't showing any other signs of kidding. We put her in the garage and gave her a heat lamp being its 24 degrees out tonight. Is this normal and how long could she be in labor if infact this is labor?

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She seems fine. Not sure where the blood came from just saw the puddle. But the clear liquid is from her vulva she is still having a little discharge but otherwise seems fine. She hung out under the heat lamp all night I checked her before I went to bed and again this morning and she is not swollen or seeming to be in labor. Is she is aborting is there anything I need to do? She must be several months along as big as she is and she no longer jumps up on things because her belly is so big and tight.

· Registered
6,548 Posts
i would keep a close eye on her. Aborting or in labor, the blood and clear liquid indicate something is going on with the babies. If she doesn't have anything soon, I'd consider a vet (if you have one you can take her to) as the longer she goes without actually passing anything other than liquid the more likely you are to end up with a very sick goat.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How long should I give her before I take her in? Tonight will be day 3 since the blood. Ive read it can take a week once labor starts for her to give birth but I dont want to wait that long if she is aborting.

· Premium Member
10,547 Posts
How far along would she be? Is she running a temp at all? Is she acting ok? If she is aborting, she will take care of it herself.

· Super Moderator
36,680 Posts
If you could get a vet out to look at her I would...I would think misscarrige over labor...you dont see blood, at least not much if at all during labor or some kindof infection, ..Im very sorry..
Get her temp. a high temp could indicate infection...

· Registered
6,548 Posts
How long should I give her before I take her in? Tonight will be day 3 since the blood. Ive read it can take a week once labor starts for her to give birth but I dont want to wait that long if she is aborting.
3 days??? I would have her at the vet 2 days ago. I've never had one in labor more than a few hours. Vet....ASAP

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She is acting fine eating and drinking fine that is why I was shocked to see blood. She doesnt seem bothered or sick at all. I talked to the vet and will take her in for a check up on Wednesday morning unless her condition changes for the worse then ill find someone asap.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sassy is doing fine. She has been eating and drinking and even hanging with the other goats more then she has been over the last few weeks. We have her appt in the morning to have her checked out. Thanks for asking.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The vet confirmed sassy is in good health and either not pregnant or not far along. Business as usual for her as we continue to watch to make sure nothing changes in the next week or so. Possible she lost the pregnancy but we may never know. Thanks everyone for all the advise.

· Super Moderator
36,680 Posts
glad she is is doing well

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.