The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be drawing blood from my two does for the first time to get pregnancy tests done on them. I saw different videos where some people were just using a syringe and then others that were using the vacutainer needles and holder to fill the tubes directly. Which method do you prefer and why?

·
Super Moderator
31,784 Posts
I have done both. A syringe is definitely easier. I choose this method now. The vacuum style took a bit of coordination lol.

·
Registered
6,292 Posts
I prefer a vacutainer but I’ve always used one since I was in the medical field. I’ve also done a syringe draw in a pinch and it works also. I think it’s a personal preference thing. Syringes are easier to acquire so, since it Also works well, it might be easier if you’re used to handling them with a squirmy goat.

·
Registered
6,292 Posts
When using the vacutainer make sure you stabilize your hand holding it still against your does neck before you pop the tube in all the way so you don’t blow through the artery. If you’re not getting a return slowly back your needle up and it should get it going. Remember bevel always faces up.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When using the vacutainer make sure you stabilize your hand holding it still against your does neck before you pop the tube in all the way so you don’t blow through the artery. If you’re not getting a return slowly back your needle up and it should get it going. Remember bevel always faces up.
Thanks for the tips! 😊

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,778 Posts
I have the red top tubes, is that what you are calling a vacutainer? Mine don't have a syringe and IDK how you'd do it with a needle so I'm curious.

We use a syringe and needle and then I pop the needle into the red top tube and it suctions the blood in. It'd def use less syringes if I could pull straight into the tube.....

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the red top tubes, is that what you are calling a vacutainer? Mine don't have a syringe and IDK how you'd do it with a needle so I'm curious.

We use a syringe and needle and then I pop the needle into the red top tube and it suctions the blood in. It'd def use less syringes if I could pull straight into the tube.....
Here's what I'm talking about:

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I prefer the vacutainer method but that was just more habit from many years of vet teching. Now that I left the field and teach science I find it harder to get needle replacements for the vacutainer sleeves so I changed to the syringe needle pull instead.

If you use vacutainer method for pulling blood just be sure don't pop a tube on before having the needle in. I don't know how many vet assistants I had to train not to blow the seal on the tubes.

There is nothing wrong with either method just depends on your supplies on hand.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you use vacutainer method for pulling blood just be sure don't pop a tube on before having the needle in. I don't know how many vet assistants I had to train not to blow the seal on the tubes.
I feel like that would be hard to remember! 😬😅

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I feel like that would be hard to remember! 😬😅
It's not hard at all and actually flows better. Most times I would have the vacutainer sleeve with the needle already twisted into place, hold the tube in the same hand as sleeve (inside sleeve but not placed on needle yet), hold off vein with left thumb, (pull cap off) stick with needle, push tube up on needle and out comes the blood. When tube full then pull down tube off of needle, pull needle out and recap needle it is done.

My commentary for the syringe method is not as smooth for comic relief lol

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's not hard at all and actually flows better. Most times I would have the vacutainer sleeve with the needle already twisted into place, hold the tube in the same hand as sleeve (inside sleeve but not placed on needle yet), hold off vein with left thumb, (pull cap off) stick with needle, push tube up on needle and out comes the blood. When tube full then pull down tube off of needle, pull needle out and recap needle it is done.

My commentary for the syringe method is not as smooth for comic relief lol
Oh, I know you are being serious. I'm sorry if I came across as not understanding. I was just saying that I could totally attach the tube before inserting the needle into the goat without thinking. That sounds like just the kind of dumb mistake I would make, so thank you for pointing that out. 🙂

·
Super Moderator
31,784 Posts
The vacutainer does take a bit of practice. I did like Ddfn expalined..holding the tube just at the needle point and pushing it in once the other end was inserted in the vein. I admit..I punctured a few tubes prematurely lol. Just toss and start again. I now do and teach a syringe and red top method. Just easier for me.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Oh, I know you are being serious. I'm sorry if I came across as not understanding. I was just saying that I could totally attach the tube before inserting the needle into the goat without thinking. That sounds like just the kind of dumb mistake I would make, so thank you for pointing that out. 🙂
You won't believe how many vet students do that so it's not just you feeling that way. The cool thing is the vacutainer needle has a rubber cover on the inside of the sleeve so it holds the needle closed until you press tube up. Then when tube is pulled down the rubber slides to cover the opening of the needle again which stops the blood flow.

No worries

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
The vacutainer does take a bit of practice. I did like Ddfn expalined..holding the tube just at the needle point and pushing it in once the other end was inserted in the vein. I admit..I punctured a few tubes prematurely lol. Just toss and start again. I now do and teach a syringe and red top method. Just easier for me.
Thank you. The syringe pull is just harder for me since in my head it requires more steps in the process. Pull blood then insert into tube, transfer blood from syringe into tube. When on a farm call we had to move fast. So it was just easier in the long run.

Everyone has their preferred methods.

I don't know how many times people pulled blood and the transported it to the practice in a syringe and not a red top tube and it was all clotted on arrival.

·
Registered
6,292 Posts
I prefer the vacutainer method but that was just more habit from many years of vet teching. Now that I left the field and teach science I find it harder to get needle replacements for the vacutainer sleeves so I changed to the syringe needle pull instead.

There is nothing wrong with either method just depends on your supplies on hand.
Well said.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts