The Goat Spot Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I would have leaned towards the syringe, but the blood tubes I am getting come with the needles and holder, so I might give that a shot. Maybe I'll do one on one doe and try the other on the other.
If you try both, let us know how it goes and what you thought of each. I’m pretty curious myself. I know I’ll have to draw blood someday.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well it didn't go well. I tried a bunch of times and they just struggled way to much for me to be able to do it. I'm concerned that I'm going to hurt them, so I'm just going to call the whole thing off. I haven't seen any definitive signs of them going back into heat so I'm just going to go forward like I did last year and say they are probably pregnant. I just don't feel like putting them (and me) through this is necessary to likely tell me what I already know. I'm sorry that I'm ditching out, but I just feel like this is something I shouldn't be doing.

·
Super Moderator
31,783 Posts
My first time drawing blood was a horrible experience. I ordered my kit..it came. I was excited. It was the vacuum double needle kind. Had my teenage son hold Rosie. I got a tiny bit of blood before she moved. Ugh...ok. bring in Jasmine..that goat screamed before I even poked her. (Was nubian lol) my son held her..I got ready and she danced about. I finally poked her and she jumped..caused a hematoma! Tried again on the other side and she screamed and danced. Ugh..put her back out and tried her daughter...no go..after two hematoma and being poked in my leg..I put the whole kit away and said forget it.
A year or so later a friend drove up to pick up a doe kid she was buying. I shared my experience and she said. Let's go. Out to the barn with kit in hand and she drew blood on 3 goats showing me how. Then said..ok. your turn..I brought in Eve, who was a large lamancha with attitude lol. Loved that girl lol. Well my daughter held her..neck in position.. I stuck her..got a full vile of blood and was so excited!. Eve didn't even care!!. After my friend headed home..my daughter and I did 11 more goats in 30 minutes...I tell yah. Best feeling.
I realized now that when I tried the first time. I was so nervous...my son was annoyed to have to help and the whole barn felt our mood.
So take a break. Ask around to find someone who can show you how. Try the syringe method too. See which is easier for you. I promise Goats are so much tougher than we are. You will get it..I promise.

·
Registered
6,292 Posts
Yep, step back and take a deep breath. Use an orange to practice getting through a goats tough skin, you’ll know that you’ve gotten in properly when you feel a slight give in the pressure (or you can use a piece Of chicken with the skin on)
Amazon has phlebotomis kits for practice if it’s a skill you really want to develop. Don’t give up, once you have a successful draw or two it’ll be second nature.
hang in there! 🙂

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thank you all for the advice. I think that for this season right now, I'm not going to try again. I'm really cutting it close with when I need to start drying Bella up and that is the real reason I wanted to get the results anyway. I'm not saying I won't every try again, but for now I just feel like it's probably something someone needs to show me in person. I also think that if I use a 20g 1/2inch needle instead of the 18g 1inch she maybe wont feel it so bad and react so much to it. I think I probably gave her a small hematoma on both sides and I just don't want to stress her out anymore. I'm not saying I'll never try again, but for now I just don't think it's worth it right now. I do appreciate all your support, so thank you all again. 🤗

·
Registered
791 Posts
It is nerve wracking to teach yourself something new! I was in your shoes and gave up as well. I finally had a goat I despised because she wouldn’t just get her head stuck in the fence but I usually walked away bleeding because she would throw a fit getting her out. Having one you don’t love so much does help lol
BUT what I think also helped me was when I lost a beautiful kid i skinned it. Morbid I know but I really mean it was beautiful and I wanted something out of the deal. Poking around where you can physically see where you need to be was I think helpful. I believe your going to be doing some butchering soooooo……

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
It is nerve wracking to teach yourself something new! I was in your shoes and gave up as well. I finally had a goat I despised because she wouldn’t just get her head stuck in the fence but I usually walked away bleeding because she would throw a fit getting her out. Having one you don’t love so much does help lol
BUT what I think also helped me was when I lost a beautiful kid i skinned it. Morbid I know but I really mean it was beautiful and I wanted something out of the deal. Poking around where you can physically see where you need to be was I think helpful. I believe your going to be doing some butchering soooooo……
That is a really good point! I'll be sure to take a look at that.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
The others are correct. The goats will sense your mood (if you feel nervous or off just call it and try another day).

One step that can make it a bit easier if it's your first time is to shave a small patch over the jugular vein were you plan to draw the blood. I normally draw on the goats left side facing their side using my left hand to hold the front of their neck and thumb to hold off jugular. If you need to you can do what I call "pulse" the vein. To help you see where to stick apply pressure with thumb watch vein enlarge and release thumb pressure vein decreases in size. Repeat pulse and watch the movement. This will help you know which direction to follow with the needle insertion . Insert need at a slight angle following the direction of the jugular for the top if the needle. If this makes sense.

I will make a note to add this topic to our future YouTube series on farm tasks. I normally teach our barn students how to draw blood and give shots during summer camps, but we can add it to an instructional video soon.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
If it makes you feel better, I failed every time I tried at blood drawing last year. This evening, I successfully did all three of my does, though Josie took several tries. Her vein kept rolling away from the needle.
It helps if you back the goats' rear ends into a corner, and have one strong person straddle them and hold them in the right position. Then you can get someone else to hold off the vein for you, and you do the blood draw. Seriously. Sil and Pippi I think could have been done with two people, but Josie was fighting mad and I had to poke several times before I actually got the needle into the vein. She was a three person job.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts