Blood draws/hoof trims

Discussion in 'Business Buzz' started by Victoria, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    I have been offering hoof trimming and blood draws for people in my area, on Craigs List, and though the clinic I work at. I am just curious if I am charging too much, too little, what would you pay/charge for this service?? For hooves, I am charging 5 $ for tame small goats, and up from there.. For blood draws, 10.00 per tame small goat, this only includes the blood tubes, and blood draw itself, the owner is responsible for sending to the lab...so I am hoping for suggestions, or ideas...I also charge a fee for driving outside of my county depending on how far the drive is, so ideas on that too. Thanks much!!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    10.00 for the blood drawl sounds reasonable but I would offer like a cap on it say like its 10.00 per goat for up to 5 goats and then its 5.00 for every additional goat

or "10.00 per goat or no more then $65.00 for a herd of goats."

that way for someone with a small herd of 8-10 goats or more can afford it since on top of that price they are paying you for gas and travel then they have to pay the lab for testing -- in the end its cheeper to get the vet out to do everything.

3. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    wish you lived here!!! I was paying $10 per goat for hoof trims and my goats are tiny and tame! LOL I have to do it myself now though since paying that much every 6 weeks got to be WAY TOO much.

Jess
    Faint-Hearted Ranch
    www.faintheartedranch.net

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Ive been doing $5 + hoof trimming with .55cents per mile with awesome success. I have one of my best friends who drives, I'm pretty much her mentor and we go around trimming hooves, make sure you sterilize all of the equiptment between herds. Market your business as gentle, clean and, your probably the only one in your area doing this.

5. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Love your ideas!! I will for sure use that on my next posting, and I am making flyers for the feed stores..I realized on my very first trimming job, I have to be so very careful with keeping my equipment clean..That was the pygora with mainge in his legs...eeeewww!!! It was really nasty and I sterilized everything!!

Stacey, I appreciate your input too, never though of putting a cap on my prices, but I will for sure be doing that also....Thanks...

Oh, and what a cool way to spend the day with your friends!!!