Blood in pee, please help!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Aasiya, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Aasiya

Aasiya Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    I am so mad at myself! Talitha has become four months old and for about half a month I have been weaning her off milk. we always let the goats drink the rice boiled water after cooking meals as it's otherwise thrown away. Someone suggested giving her some in her bottle while decreasing milk, she said she always gives it to her baby goats. I did that, and she was liking it so like an idiot, I continued letting her have a bottle of rice water when she screamed at night. Now I suddenly noticed that she is straining to pee and doing small amount of red pee often. I just red about water intoxication...is that what it sounds like? She cries out when she urinates and is in pain. It's 3 am here and I can't reach the vet... please help!

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  2. Aasiya

Aasiya Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Also her poop is normal...I'm checking temp now

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Yes..stop feeding her water in the bottle. Im sure you have already but just in case. Feed her electrolytes instead to help replace what she's lost.

4. Aasiya

Aasiya Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Thanks. I'm considering that it might be a UTI too...is there anything I could do about that?

5. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    It sounds like water intoxication, water should never be bottle fed.

I’m actually unsure of the treatment, I just know the symptoms. @happybleats you have mentioned this.

6. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Antibiotic would be needed for UTI but my guess is you are correct to consider the rice water and toxicity. How was her temp? I would also give a shot if B complex to support her system. Hopefully electrolytes will help bring balance back quickly

7. Aasiya

Aasiya Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Temp is in normal range, will give her bcomplex and electrolyte now. I'm confused about the pain and straining; does water intoxication do that?
    Also, should I give the electrolyte by bottle or syringe?
    Thanks.

8. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    The straining to pee and pain is most likely kidney issues do to the water toxicity. There is very little if any Info on treatment. My hypothesis is the electrolytes are out of balance due to so much water. My thought has always been to bring balance back with electrolytes. Most times I see this, getting off water and getting electrolytes a few days the goat bounces back. Im not sure if it's the electrolytes or just being off water..but either way its helped other cases.

Electrolytes in a bottle is fine. Small amounts at a time.

9. Aasiya

Aasiya Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Thanks again happybleats.
    She has thankfully calmed down and is sitting quietly now. Will get on with the electrolytes. I still can't believe how stupid I was! I read something about not giving water bottles, but didn't make the connection with rice water (it's rather pulpy, not completely liquid). I hope she recovers soon:(

MadHouse likes this.
  10. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    My pleasure. I hope she recovers quickly. Go slow on electrolytes. An oz every few hours might be good. I was just reading more on the subject and often no treatment is needed other than removing water. A case of a 3 month old who was being fed water in a bottle presented the same symptoms as your doe and recovered in 2 days after the bottle were stopped.

Keep us posted!!

Best wishes

toth boer goats, MadHouse and Aasiya like this.
  11. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Has she pooped?

What is her FAMACHA score?

12. Aasiya

Aasiya Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Her poop was normal last night but she's scouring badly now. She's been getting small amounts of electrolytes and seems relatively active. Famacha score is 3(borderline)

13. Aasiya

Aasiya Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    This is a real mess! The only large animal vet here is out of Dhaka...she's still scouring. Should I let her clear out, or give her pepto bismol? If so, what's the dose? Thanks again everyone.

MadHouse likes this.
  14. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    What color is the scours? How watery is it? Is she peeing ok today? The rice water may cause scours. I usually give a day to let things work out before treating chemically to stop it. You can mix up some Tummy Tamer and give that..which can help.
    1 teaspoon each
    Cayenne pepper
    Ginger
    Slippery elm
    Cinnamon
    Apple cider vinegar
    Molasses
    In enough water to drench..about 20-30 cc
    This is a big dose so splitting in two won't hurt.
    You can blend a fresh garlic clove in with this as well. Good stuff.

MadHouse and Aasiya like this.
  15. Aasiya

Aasiya Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Her scours are greenish brown, completely liquid; she never scoured after drinking rice water before ( it's been a month since I started giving it). It came on just after the red pee, so I'm worried it's to do with that. She did a huge puddle of dark red pee in the morning, no more. Her scours have slowed after she had a mixture of banana, psyllium husk and yoghurt; she's just doing a small bit now and then. Still active and hungry.

Thanks so much for the recipe, I'll give it a go!

16. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Sounds like she's is on the mend. Good job with her! I find with goats it's never cut and dry ..
    Did her rice water amount increase or get more frequent? Strange it would take a month to cause such a stir.
    Poop color is consistent with more dietary issues.. Has she had coccidia prevention?

Aasiya and MadHouse like this.
  17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    All great advice.
    Glad all is getting better, good work. ;)

MadHouse and Aasiya like this.
  18. Aasiya

Aasiya Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    No changes in the rice water that I know of. None of the kids this year have had coccidia prevention; should I start them on it? I have a combination sulpha-drug+ antibiotic bolus; it's quite strong so I just use if I need to treat. That's the only coccidiosis medicine they make around here for goats and chickens both. Some places sell toltazuril; is that used for prevention?
    Also, she peed a bit again but it's dark yellow, not red.
    Her rectal temp is still in normal range, will check again in a while

MadHouse likes this.
  19. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Yah for yellow pee!!
    Toltrazuril is great for prevention and treatment. 1 cc per 5 pounds day one..then booster in 10 days if treating an active case.

Aasiya and MadHouse like this.