blood testing

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by AlaskaBoers, Sep 20, 2008.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    okay :oops: ....I tired to draw blood yestday, and I failed! Since My vacation to WI, I have a list of things to do, (clean pen, get hay, organize, paint stacey a picture, breed the does, find bucks, A.I?)

But I couldnt get that done until i drew the blood for testing. I looked at the u-say ranch tutorial, but it didnt work on the boers flabby necks. I couldnt find the vein at all, or which side of the neck etc. So any help at all would be Appreciated!!!! :help:

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Did you shave their neck? I find that helps a lot when you are just learning. You can do either side of the neck. I put pressure, with my finger, against the side of their neck so the vein pops up. Some goats are harder to get than others, just like people.

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yes i shaved, where should i shave it though? a picture would help.

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Here is a pic of Anna lol. The green box is where I shave. The red line is about where the vein is. It tends to move around as they move their head and this is a Nigerian, not a Boer. The black line is where I would put my finger. Since I learned to draw blood on people I use alcohol before I stick them. I am sure everyone has a different method of how they get blood from their goats but this has worked for me. Oh and I have someone hold their head up and stretch their neck out a bit so it is easier to see the vein.

[​IMG]

Also, Don't go "fishing" for the vein. Try to make a straight entry and if you miss pull the needle back a bit and try again. If you ever start to see a bump on the vein pull the needle out and keep pressure on it for a bit.

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    thanks! so much. I really needed that picture, i'm a visual person lol. Off to try it again. also how does WADDL work? do i send in the blood and the request for the tests and they bill me afterwords? or do i send in money with the bloodwork? thanks

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Your welcome. :) WADDL will bill you later.