The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of a friend has offered to give me three goats that were rescued by our county sheriffs dept. She is an EMT and says she can draw blood to have them tested for CAE, Johnnes disease and CL. If she does draw the blood, where would I send it for the test? Should I take it to a local vet? I don't think the local vets do much with goats. I was going to worm them when we draw the blood. What would be the best med to use to worm? Their hooves were trimmed by an animal control officer but that is all that has been done. Two are pigmys and one is a Spanish buck. I plan on holding them while I stand on a bathroom scale to get their weight.

·
Super Moderator
58,925 Posts
You can send the blood to WADDL for testing of all those diseases.

I would probably do Valbazen to worm since that does get a lot of different worms. Or you could do Ivomec Plus and inject it SQ.

·
Registered
355 Posts
you can also send it to UC Davis.. call to make sure you buy the right tubes for sending it in. I think they are the red top tubes and standard overnight works fine. For the Johnes I send in fecal but maybe things have changed(?) I also use the Ivomec drench for sheep if you aren't used to doing shots.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts