Blood Tests and Labs

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by groovyoldlady, Sep 15, 2020.

1. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    We're getting ready to do blood tests on our Groovy Goats. I usually send the blood into WADDL. But that doesn't seem wise right now considering the extreme heat and all the fires. It's already quite a trip to send it from Maine to Washington without all those added complications.

I found Sage Labs in Sweet, Idaho. Has anyone used them?

Also, Sage suggests testing for Q Fever along with the usual CL, CAE, and Johne's. I've never heard of anyone having a problem with that - at least, not here in New England. Thoughts?

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't think I'd worry about Q Fever.

3. LunaLovegoat

LunaLovegoat New Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Maine
    Hello there!

I’ve used WADDL too - we’re in Maine too (and got our goats from you a few years ago!) I can’t offer help on Sage Labs but our vet just recommended Umaine Farm Extension for testing. We’ve done fecals there but it looks like they may do other tests (such as Johnes) by arrangement. The people I’ve spoken to there are lovely and super helpful (and it’s so close I don’t have to worry about mail slow down) so it may be worth a phone call to see!

Here’s a link: https://extension.umaine.edu/veterinarylab/goats/
    And office number: (207) 581-3874

Good luck!

4. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

For some reason i thought i remember someone sayin sage was not accredited? Rollins lab in raleigh, nc is a good lab.

5. groovyoldlady

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    I used UMaine a few years ago. I was NOT pleased with their turnaround time. WADDL usually has results to me on all 3 tests within a week. UMaine took TWO months. It may be better now - I surely hope it is - but that experience left a bad taste in my mouth.

6. groovyoldlady

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    I will look into Rollins. They're alot closer than Idaho! We're going to draw the blood Thursday...

Sfgwife likes this.
  7. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    We used Sage last year and she had quick turn around time but it was crazy expensive to overnight the samples to her since apparently she is in the middle of nowhere. I think we spent $120 on shipping for 12 samples (weighed almost nothing).

I don’t think they are accredited and I’ve heard of lots of false positives. Our bucks were all marginal for CL with her but we’ve never had an abscess and all had previously tested negative the year prior. They were also in full rut when we took the samples. I think we’ll probably use UBRL this year unless they’ve been impacted by the fires.

8. Ranger1

Ranger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    If WA is too far, ID isn’t much closer...
    I use either WADDL or Sage Ag Labs, but I don’t know if it’s the same Sage Labs you’re talking about, because this one is in WA. Either way, I’m happy with my experiences with both labs.

9. groovyoldlady

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    $120??? Holy Moly! I checked Rollins. Not the easiest website! Prices aren't bad and they can arrange for $8 flat rate shipping via fed-ex or UPS. However, they don't seem to have a CL test. I guess I'll have to call them.

10. Michaela Van Mecl

Michaela Van Mecl Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Sage is really great. USPS getting to them sucks, they were 2 days late so pack your package accordingly.

11. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    happybleats and groovyoldlady like this.
  12. Michaela Van Mecl

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    I'm interested in your experience! My friend and I went in together to have our two bucks tested... both came from herds that were abscess free for many years, closed herds.... NOT related or have ever met before... and both came back "marginal" for CL. It wasn't Sage, it was the local agriculture extension office animal lab. We thought it was really really strange to have that sort of coincidence and obviously we never called to address it thinking it was probably a waste of time. How long did you wait to have a retest?

groovyoldlady likes this.
  13. groovyoldlady

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    Excellent. I'll look into them!

GoofyGoat likes this.
  14. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    When we tested they were strong in rut. Apparently that kind of stress can produced compounds that can cause CL to read as marginal. You also don’t want to test soon after vaccinating due to the immune response causing false elevations. You retest in about 6 weeks or 6 weeks from the stressful event ending. I’m not an expert in this area but I think we’ll be using URBL this year. I’ve heard good things about them and their website is easy to navigate.

Michaela Van Mecl likes this.
  15. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Will you update with what they say? The $120 was way high but it was my first time drawing blood and I didn’t want to risk a 4 day transit keeping the samples cold. UPS said the address was so remote they couldn’t get there next day but to get there in 2 days I had to pay the overnight fee.

16. Michaela Van Mecl

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    That's good to know. When we tested it was definitely within 6 weeks of a CDT vaccination and bringing him home to us via a 4 hour car ride. My friends buck is in rut and she brought him home as well. Thanks for the tip!

17. groovyoldlady

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    I talked to Rollins. They do not do CL testing at all.

Texas A&M has unfamiliar names for everything:

CL = corynbacterium pseudotuberculosis
    CAE = Lentovirus
    Johne's = mycobacterium avium paratuberculosis

When I added all the TX tests together, they were more than WADDL, so I emailed WADDL to see if they are having any problems or delays. Haven't heard back yet.

Just to be nice, I checked UMaine. They are in a Covid panic, even though Maine has an extremely low incidence of covid. You have to call them and get permission to leave or send any samples. I'm already unhappy with them for other reasons, so I've pretty much ruled them out.

18. Michaela Van Mecl

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Try Sage!

19. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    University of New Hampshire is also a great option, but I don't believe they offer CL either. They have necropsy, CAE, Johnes, pregnancy, etc.

20. groovyoldlady

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    I ended up just going with WADDL. They said they're not experiencing delays. Shipping was only $7 and they've done away with accession fees. And, most importantly, I've been very pleased with them in the past.