The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be easily solved by someone with more experience than me, but I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do. A few days ago when I was filtering the milk from my Nubian, I noticed a small bit of tissue with a little bit of blood in it at the bottom of the filter. I didn't think much of it until that night, when I found more little bits of bloody tissue in her milk again. The next morning the milk from her right udder was pink. There is no redness on the teat; she's not hot and she's not overly irritated when milking her. I took a sample to the vet and it tested negative for mastitis with the CMT. The milk seemed to be less pink yesterday at both milkings. This morning halfway through her milking I felt a small blockage and had to squeeze a tiny bit harder than usual, but once it passed she milked just fine without much irritation. I've been throwing the milk out from that udder, but I filtered it today and found another little bit of bloody tissue. The tissue is small, maybe 1 or 2 cm. She's a 3-year-old full Nubian. I've only had her a week but got her from a reliable owner, who's always had great success with her. Is this mastitis but there wasn't enough bacteria growing yet to read positive on the CMT? Or a broken capillary or udder breakdown? Not sure what to do.

·
2,203 Posts
What you can do is get some udder balm and massage that udder really well after milking when the aveoli are empty.

Chances are she got into a tussle with herself or a friend and the tissues got bruised.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm new to milking a full Nubian. She's much different than my other half-Nubian; much bigger teats.

·
2,203 Posts
I'm new to milking a full Nubian. She's much different than my other half-Nubian; much bigger teats.
Make sure you "clamp" off the teat at the base so no milk is forced back into the udder. This is very important.

·
Care giver of 4 milkers, one doeling, and One beau
915 Posts
I had bloody tissue for a little while but it cleared up. I never had any pink milk.

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
Does she still nurse kids? some times they can be rough on the udder and break those little tiny blood vessels..do you hand milk or machine milk? If you hand milk, be sure to be gentle, if you machine milk, check your settings, make sure the suction is not too hard
at any rate, this usually isnt anything to worry about..and should clear in a few days...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts