blood

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by lesserweevil, Jun 18, 2008.

1. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I went to the barn this morning and whissy had pink patches on her hind legs and on her udder - I looked in the pen and there's a patch about 1 foot by 1/2 foot that is all red and wet, I guess she must have been bleeding during the night... there's no cut on her anywhere so I'm assuming that it must have come from her behind. She kidded 14 May... so the kids are a month old now. They dont share the pen at night time.

The question is... whaddi dooo? :shrug: should I give her a shot of penicillin and just not drink the milk for 96 hours? or will she be ok? or whaaa :scratch:

I have to leave tonight for a week aaargh :cry:

LW

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I hope someone else can help .....my girls will go for a day or so after delivery with a red to brown discharge...then almost nothing for a week or so then usually at 3-4 weeks they will suddenly have a heavier discharge for another day or so...pink to red/brown. With Whissy being white it would make it seem much more noticeable than on a darker girl. At least this is what I've noticed...if anyone one else has any input..I too would like to hear it. :)

3. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Yeh, Carly just recently had some discharge that was enough that I had to "clean her up a bit". At first I thought there was something wrong, but no temp, and she is eating fine. I'd say she's probably OK, but I'd check her temp anyway.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I dont' usually have does discharge that late btu I have had them discharge like 2 weeks after.

I would take her temp and see how that is. If not infection and there is nothing coming out of her now I would be stumped :shrug:

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WOW, I would get a Vet involved. That is NOT normal. Does she have a temp at all?

6. susanne

susanne Guest

Nov 12, 2007
  7. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    well temp was 103. I gave her 5ccs penicillin just in case... because I am going away for a week.

:(

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    If you gave her a shot then you have to do it for 5 - 7 days. Only one shot will really cause trouble for her if she ever really needs medication.

OOPS. I read it as March not May. Yes it is totally normal to have a discharge for a while.

9. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    nah, I dont. over here it's different. It's long acting penicillin that I use, it's a one time shot.

LW

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Is she still bleeding? My guess is that she stopped and she just had that one time "clean out"....and as I said befiore...her being white made it look really bad, the antibiotic probably wasn't neccessary but if she does have an infection..you would have smelled it before you saw the blood, so the shot may have done good. If she's "being Whissy" she'll be fine. Hope you have a safe trip. :)

11. susanne

susanne Guest

Nov 12, 2007
  12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    This very well could have been derivitive of penicillian...I know myself that when I was dealing with a kid with coccidia and had a high temp she was on amoxicillian for 3 days. Bug is in Ireland, the vet practices there are very different than here due to geographic location so there very well could be a difference in the administration of drugs. Besides that, we all have different reactions when we see something off in our friends. We are all here to help with support and general "what to do" when things aren't right with our goats, I personally don't have the time to do extensive research on different types of meds and whatnot so I come here for help with minor issues and end up getting what I';m looking for and save time doing so. :)

Who knows...the drugs that are commonly used here are likely not effective there. :shrug:

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Just checking in to see if Whissy is well....and I hope you had a nice trip!