Bloody Diarrhea in 1-Month-Old

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by kornhypknotic, Jun 16, 2009.

1. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    Yikes! The health issues nowadays! :GAAH:

I've been noticing for about a week or two that Tamara (1month old saanen/nubian doeling) has not been as perky as the other kids. She doesn't like to play as much and she lies down a lot. When I check for any problems other than listlessness I can't find anything (no anemia, no scours, no wounds, etc.) so I figure it's just the heat getting to her because she's a bit on the shaggy side. :wink:

Then today someone else who works on the farm notices her listlessness (if someone other than me notices that means there's really something wrong). I go and check and she looks maybe a little more lethargic, but nothing too severe. I give her 5 full depressions of goat Nutri-Drench - which she hates - and she coughs up quite a bit. I check her temp and it's 103F which is normal for our kids when it's 95 degrees in the AM.

This afternoon I go to see if she's feeling better and she's got wicked diarrhea. :shocked: By the time I get there the diarrhea has progressed to slimy green liquid with some red blood in it. Her temp was 104.1F this afternoon when the temp outside was 104F, so I think she does have a mild fever now. I gave her some electrolytes and she devoured quite a good amount (about 20oz). She perked up significantly after that, but later this evening she looked pretty low again and continued to have liquid-greenish-yellow diarrhea, but I didn't see any blood this time.

I can't even think of what could be going on . . . unless the nutri-drench somehow poisoned her, which I can't imagine could have been the case. Please help :pray:

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Really sounds like coccidia, if she were mine, I'd start her on sulfa drugs and get a fecal to the vet ASAP. Keep her on the electrolytes and dose her with pepto

3. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    the fecal is happening tomorrow afternoon :thumb: . . . what sulfa drugs? do i need a prescription for those?

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yes it does sound like cocci
    I've never deslt with it but here's some info

from jack mauldin's website

symptoms:

http://www.jackmauldin.com/health/coccidiosis.htm

a sulfa drug would be corid

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Di-Methox and Albon are basically the same thing, the Di Methox you can get without prescription, Corrid is another that is used but I have only ever used the first 2.

Since the fecal is for tomorrow, it's best to keep her hydrated and get the scours under control til then, no grain but all the hay she wants and offer some dry oatmeal or saltine crackers.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she has coccidia or cocci for short

you need to treat her for that.

many different drugs available. But all require a 5 day treatment. I personaly like corid, or albon but there is one Dimethox that others really recomend as well.

Since one has it more then likely all the kid do so treat everyone as a precaution.

7. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    . . . but she's still on feed, she has not been losing weight (yet), and she's peeing just fine so I assume she's not dehydrated :shrug: . . . is it maybe cocci that I caught early, or something? she also doesn't show signs of pain and the blood was very minimal . . . :shrug: I dunno . . .

And none of the other kids look sick at all. they're all incredibly perky and have not had any trouble whatsoever healthwise . . . not even diarrhea when we switched to milk replacer 3 weeks ago . . . that's why i'm so confused :shrug:

8. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I have been fighting cocci in my new little guys for a month now, I would for sure start treatments on all kids.....my one little guy came with it and passed it to my other little guy.

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I would still suspect cocci, I had a buckling 2 years ago that just had diarrhea, he ate like a pig but I could not get the scours under control, fecal showed overload of cocci. Not all kids will go off feed, the fact that your doeling has had a bloody stool is my cause for concern, even seeing it just once shows that her intestine may be damaged, treating the others is your call, but it is a devastating condition that will cause death if not treated aggressively as soon as the symptoms appear.

DiMethox is available at any vet supply, as well as corrid and sulmet(albon)

10. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Yes to what Liz said......neither one of my guys went off feed and acted fine, I always have vet do fecal when I first get them home......he called me and said my newest guy was LOADED in cocci! Mine only had clumpy poops.....never was runny.

11. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    You should be able to get Sulmet from your local feed store. At mine it's in the poultry section.

Sometimes you wont get any of the signs of Cocci and sometimes you get all the signs, just like with most illnesses. With watery, loose poo with blood in it I think it's safe to say it's cocci. You should treat asap.

12. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    She'd definitely be put on a sulfa if she was here, either Dimethox 40% or Albon. You can take care of cocci that way, and also anything bacterial related. Corid is NOT a sulfa, and I don't prefer it for treatment, however it's excellent as a preventive.

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Some goats are different with there symptoms.....On rare occasions adult goats ...that have cocci ....never have diarrhea....but lose weight..... :(
    When blood is present in poo ...it is not a good thing ...and I to ....would have a fecal done......it does sound like cocci.... :hug:

14. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    Ok . . . I'm getting the fecal done this afternoon and I'll see if my feed stores have sulfa drugs for her. She looked great today, although her butt is still really dirty :greengrin:

Thanks again all! :grouphug:

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome Jess......I am glad you are getting a fecal done.....let us know what it says...good luck... :hug:

16. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    Bingo! Y'all were right - coccidiosis. :sigh: The vet gave me 70cc Albon and she gave her 12.5 cc today and told me to give her 7cc daily for 10 days. She didn't seem too worried. :shrug:

17. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Glad that you got her taken care of, keep the albon going into her and in the meantime a few doses of pepto to control the diarrhea, she should be back to berries within the next 3 days. Also, make sure she is drinking enough. About 2 days AFTER the last dose of Albon, give her some B complex...it will stimulate her appetite and also help with the deficiency caused by the meds...probiotics will be a good thing as well.

18. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    do the entire course of treatment for sure.

Glad you got some albon - thats great stuff. :thumb:

19. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    Yeah! I want some for me! :p It tastes like butterscotch and peppermint :drool:

20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am glad.. you had the fecal done....and treatment has started ....your baby... will be back to good health ...in no time..... :wink: :hug:
    great job......... :thumbup: