bloody discharge

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sixshooterfarm, Dec 27, 2007.

1. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Ok so here is the story. My doe Nikki who has had 3 sets of babies, I have had her for about a year or so now. Well I have tried breeding her and breeding her and breeding her some more. Well she will breed and then about a month to two months later she will have a bloody discharge, then come right back into heat and breed. I havent seen any babies or anything, just a bloody discharge. THis time she was bred september 24th, and was due 2/17/08, but the thing is tho, she was not developing an udder or even looked bred. SO what I was thinking is to lock her up and put her on a very strict schedule of antibiotics to see if maybe she has been fighting something. Oh and she has been breeding with different bucks. I am just so stumped cause everyone else is fine and pregnant. what kind of antibiotics and what do you guys think....this is frustrating me!!

2. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    I don't know about the bloody discharge, but she could be going into false heat after breeding.

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Ditto what Julie said. False heat is a good possibility.

I would honestly lay off on the antibiotics for a while, they may be doing more harm than good.

If she is due in Feb she may not develop and udder this early.

Have you tried blood pregnancy tests to see if she's bred? They cost around $8 and are 95% accurate.

4. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    The thing is tho is that I havent given her any antibiotics, none. ANd there is no way these are false heats cause #1 there is quite a bit of blood, more than a drop, it gets all over her tail. And two she has done this like I said about 4 times througout the year and still no babies. ok here I wrote it all down

Jan 12- due 6/07
    Feb 7- due 7/03
    June 5- due 10/29
    July25th-due 12/18
    sept24-due 12/17

now I never wrote down the dates when she had the bloody discharge ( stupid me) but I remember her doing it several times and being very disapointed. And like I siad she was never on any antibiotics, but then I gave it a good thought, right before I got her the previous owner started to use ludalyce on all her goats....and Nikki has had babies with her before, should I go ahead and ludalyce her, cause this may be false pregnancys. I do not like to use ludalyce but if it comes down to getting her bred then I am willing. Just my thought tho.

5. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    From the voice of inexperience (with goats) I have heard that doing an antibiotic flush of the uterus is more effective than systemic but you have to be able to get into the uterus- I read about using lut to time it but that is very confusing to me. At some point in heat, the cervix must open enough to do this.

6. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    Just another experience. We had a doe go into labor about a month early. She had very heavy discharge that was bloody the day of. The kid ended up being still born and almost mumified. Maybe she has some toxic fetuses in there? Just a thought. If this is possible, I would say get her to a vet. This is the only experience Ive had with bloody discharge. Maybe someone will second it? or even find a problem with this theory....I dont know. Just my 2 cents worth.

CJ

7. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    I was thinking about doing a uterine flush, her cervix is open now since she is bleeding, I have done it before so I was thinking of doing it but wanted everyone elses thought on it first! By what I read it sounds like a bunch of false pregnancies, but what is causing the false pregnancies???

8. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    Maybe she retained a piece of the placenta from a previouse birthing? This would/could prevent her from concieving.

CJ

9. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    As far as i know her labors where prety normal, nothing that was horrible, just easy births. I am just soo darn stumped about this, I am gonna try a couple all natural things and see what happens. I am gonna give her a load of red rasberry leaves to help flush her out, and some other things, I need to look in my book, anyone with ANY ideas throw them out please, dont be afraid to offend me :roll: :D

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Maybe it is her way of telling you that she needs a break this year, and does not want to be bred. I know the way I look at things are not the way others do, but if I put a doe in with a buck and she did not take for some reason other then missing her cycle, then that is in my mind a sign that she should not be bred. I say give her a break. Just see what happens.

11. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    The lutalyse may have messed her up. Yes, I know of breeders that use it all the time without problems but sometimes certain goats are affected differently by it. Maybe this is just Nikki's reaction to the lutalyse.

I would also recommend giving her high doses of vitamin C for about a week or two, maybe along with some garlic. Those two are stronger than any anti biotic you can give. If this is some sort of infection you are dealing with then those should help. Just take a little warm water and raisins(if that is her fav, all my goats love raisins) and put about 2000-4000 mg of powdered vitamin C. Give that to her twice a day.

So I assume she is coming into regular heats the rest of the time? Or is she in with a buck full time and you haven't noticed regular heats?

12. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Well it has been about a year and a half since she last kidded. SO she has had plenty of a break, she has a single buckling the last time that was happy healthy and bouncy. ANd I dont think she bled every single time, just a couple of times. She comes into regualr heats for the most part, between feb-june I thought she was pregnant, she dident come into heat. It seems like for a couple of months she comes into heat and breeds witht he buck, she dosent come in the next month so I assume she is pregnant, then usually about 2-3 months later she will either come back into heat or bleed. I am not going to expose her to the buck for a while, I want to see a nice consitant heat pattern, no funny dishcarge, I gave her lots of Red rasberry, that will be added to her grain every day, I gave her some fennel , garlic, and pulsatilla and apis mellifica- used for woman who have irregular periods or cystic ovaries. SO hopefully this will help. I also every once in a while give my goats, vit c tablets, 500 mg. wow 4000mg of vit c huh, okey dokey, cant hurt. SHould I go ahead and give her a few shots of vit B as well??

13. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Vit B wouldn't hurt, that's for energy mostly.

Let me dig up a thing from one of my homeopathic books about infertility. Pulsatilla is one of them, you give that for 14 days, then stop. Sepia is another one. Apis, that sounds familiar(I know the remedy) but I'm not sure if that is used to fix heats in goats or not.

14. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Oh, and the high amount of Vit C will cover if she has some sort of uterine infection going on, it will act as a flush also. Do it for about a week or so.

15. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    This is what I found, quote from Homeopathy for the Herd, by Edgar Shaeffer(written for cows but applies to goats):

"Utilizing homeopathic medicine in a dairy or beef herd can begin at any time. Cows that are not showing heat or estrus can benefit from a course of Pulsatilla 30C once daily for seven to ten days. Most have a 21-day cycle. Those with silent estrus can be given Sepia 30C daily for one to five days after ovulation and diapedesis (the outward passage of blood through intact vessel walls). Then on day 14 of the cycle begin with Pulsatilla daily until signs of estrus occur. By that time, the animal should be in her natural cycle and showing a strong estrus."

16. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Ok, now we once had a doe that was put on pulsatilla 30c for about 10 days, it did absolutly nothing for her, but we think that for some odd reason she was a hermaphrodite. Nikki has strong heats, she has been pregnant before and she is not old. SO I am honestly thinking that Ludalyce has messed her up, now we need to try to fix it lol. I will give her 400mg vit c, red rasberry, garlic, pulsatilla and apis mel. anything else?? should I give her some bose? or should I update her shot of CDT?

17. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

It may be possible that she has developed poly cystic overies. I would do a uteran flush on her, give her some time. Its has gotten so late in the year now it may be impossible to get her bred this year.
    We had a lamancha doe that kidded as a yearling and as a two year old just fine. then for three years nothing. She was running with proven bucks. Her herdmats all got bred no problems. Then last year we though we would lut her to get her to go in. Turns out the alpine buck had had different plans he had somehow gotten out of his pen gotten in with coacoa got her bred and then gotten back into his own pen with no one knowing. 48 hours after we luted her she had a single dead partially developed kid. It was really depressing both for us and her. But there was no way of telling that she had been bred. We had her flushed and she got bred (ultrasound confirmed) this year just fine.
    beth

18. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    well she is a nigi so i can breed her whenever. :D :roll: I just dont understand it sometimes, what uterine flush do you recomend? just water and some betadine or what?

19. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I use saline. I don;t know what other people use. but this seems to work best for me.
    beth

20. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    How do you flush the uterus? How do you get by the cervix?