The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a doe that kidded 18 days ago, she has been doing great. The last couple of days we have noticed more than usual post kidding discharge. Today it is so much it has run down her leg between her leg and udder. She seems more on edge than normal, calling for her daughter that is 3ft away constantly. She moved with the herd all day in the pasture, and came in to drink normally. Other than the discharge and maybe slight bloat she is physically OK. Is all of this normal?

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Sometimes they will have a random burst of bloody discharge a few weeks after kidding, especially if they had had a traumatic delivery. Keep a good eye on her just to be sure, and watch for more blood. As long as she is eating, drinking, and acting normal then don't worry to much ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also with the discharge should I start an antibiotic to prevent an infection, or am I just overreacting to normal post kidding. I think maybe I am just on edge after losing her sister this kidding season.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Gross, I know, but hey goes with animals lol, smell her behind, if it smells even some what like death yes start giving her something, if not, I would leave her alone. Trinityranch is righ, very common for this to happen right now. As long as its not bright red, and a large amount, I mean kinda gushing large amount, I wouldnt worry.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
We have never given antibiotics for post kidding discharge, and I don't think it is required, but I am not sure. Maybe someone else has experience in this area?

·
Registered
617 Posts
It's normal,as long as she is not running a fever,and she is eating and drinking,I have had some does that do that for weeks pretty typical,

·
14,615 Posts
As stated before, this is perfectly normal; almost dry for several days then whoosh. Only a tiny bit of blood can seem like alot.
So long as she doesnt smell horrible back there, which would indicate an infection.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK. I am used to discharge for a couple weeks, but this just seemed like quite a bit. Like I said, its been a bit of a rough season here, so stuff that I used to just blow off or not notice is making me paranoid! I really appreciate all of your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts