Bloody milk - mastitis?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by bornagain62511, Feb 7, 2018.

1. bornagain62511

bornagain62511 Active Member

Mar 3, 2015
    one of my does had a blood clot in the first squeeze of milk out of one side of the udder this morning and the milk was pink with blood until the very end. Other than that, I don't notice anything else wrong with her. Is this a sure sign of mastitis, or could it possibly due to another doe "hooking" and injuring her udder with it's horns which happens occasionally?

Also, is the milk safe for me to drink from the non infected half of the udder, or should I discard all her milk until it clears up?

Has anyone had good luck with using herbal infusions such as Fir Meadow's Udder Blast to cure mastitis?

2. IHEARTGOATS

IHEARTGOATS Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Zebulon, NC
    Sometimes they just have a blood capillary burst.

goatblessings likes this.

3. IHEARTGOATS

IHEARTGOATS Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Zebulon, NC
    I would test for mastitis though.

goatblessings likes this.
  4. bornagain62511

Mar 3, 2015
    ok thanks! So if it is just a capillary burst, could that cause the all the milk from one milking to be bloody? Does the blood usually clear up quickly in the next milking or two?

5. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    SouthCentralKY, USA
    Is this her first milking from a very full udder?

6. bornagain62511

Mar 3, 2015
    She is a first freshener, but she has been in milk since June.

7. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    NC
    She could’ve been hit which would cause a burst capillary.

8. mariarose

Oct 23, 2014
    SouthCentralKY, USA
    But has this been the first time the udder was really full?

9. bornagain62511

Mar 3, 2015

no

10. mariarose

Oct 23, 2014
    SouthCentralKY, USA
    That would've been almost certain confirmation of burst capillaries. But as Suzanne said, she could've been hit.

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Just to be safe, test for mastitis.

mariarose likes this.
  12. bornagain62511

Mar 3, 2015
    Good news, I had the vet test her milk from that side and it tested negative. She's been acting normal eating normal no unusual lumps or textures in her utter or milk besides the pinkness from the blood. And the blood in her milk cleared up quickly within 24 to 36 hours. And milk production and texture stayed the same other than the pinkness from the blood. I'm 99.9% sure it was from one of the doe's with horns "hooking" her in the udder that caused the bleeding inside her udder. I'd been milking this doe once every morning and that morning I first noticed it the milk was really pink with blood. I decided it would be best to milk her out on that side that evening, and there was just a tiny bit of blood clot in the milk and less pinkness overall in the color of the milk, so less blood. The next morning there was barely a noticeable tint of pink in the milk. I did not milk here that evening and the next morning the milk was white as could be. From watching my doe's interact over the past weeks and months, I'm pretty sure I know which doe did the "hooking" injury with her horns too. There was not any noticeable injury on the outside of the skin of the udder or anywhere in that area. Must have just hit it perfect to cause a capillary to burst or something.

groovyoldlady likes this.
  13. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    NC
    Glad it wasn't mastitis :)

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  15. bornagain62511

Mar 3, 2015
    So the milk was all clear for a few days and now this morning it was bloody again and there was a large clot of blood that came out in the first few squeezes of milk from that same udder. I know the first test was negative but I'm going to take this milk in for another sample just in case. Not sure what to think of it. Any ideas? I'm also starting to question if it was for sure from another goat hitting her in the udder with its horns because I would sure think I would be able to see some kind of injury or cut on the outside of her skin if the bloody milk was caused by that. Not sure what to think

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Wow, yes, test her again.

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If it sounds like described in the link, she is probably OK.

A periodic test for mastitis will let you know.

18. TexasGoatMan

TexasGoatMan Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Dekalb, Texas
    May I suggest separating this doe from the others and see if the milk clears up. if it does then you know what is taking place. The other doe may be a bully toward this doe and if so you could/will continue to have this problem. If it doesn't clear up then you have eliminated one possibility. Good luck

19. mariarose

Oct 23, 2014
    SouthCentralKY, USA
    Mastitis, in my research as I don't have a lot of personal experience, does not normally cause actual blood clots. That isn't really an "infection thing" I do know that a single trauma can cause multiple results.

Are your goats crowded? When they get crowded, and something makes them cranky (bad weather?) then meanness can occur that otherwise would not. In times of stress, like bad weather, it is wise to allow the goats as much distance from one another as you possibly can, including lots of small shelters over 1 large shelter. Even if the large shelter, or large feeder, should hypothetically service a lot of animals, more bullying will occur.

Kath G. and bornagain62511 like this.