The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today's Friday, Tuesday I let the goats out to graze for 2 or 3 hours. I let out a doe with her two 1 month old kids, two 5 y/o does, a 13 month old doe, and my 9 month buck.
Wednesday the year old doe was sitting in the corner gloomy with scours, I gave her pepto and electrolytes and just guessed she over ate. All the others were fine.
Thursday she was acting normal running around and great appetite but i only gave her pepto, electrolytes, hay, and a handful of feed instead of her usual, she still had a dirty tail but I guessed it was from the day before. But she had lost a lot of weight.
Today I went out and my buck had a dirty tail and acted a little out of it. I went to clean out the barn and refill the hay and there were 2 piles or scours and they both had this gooey clear/white stuff in it and blood in that part. What causes that? The only goats in that dry lot together are the 2 older does, the younger doe, and the buck. They've been running together and at first i thought a doe had aborted or something because the gooey stuff is in a circular blob about 2 or 3 inches wide, but i checked and its just goo. What could be wrong, what do i need to give them? Should i take them to the vet? :(

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok i went to check on him and he was laying down leaning on the fence and wouldn't stand up until I was close enough to touch him. He was drinking a lot, he walked to the water bowl and drank a few sips about 5 times in 30 min. And he peed a lot but only a little each time. His scours is mostly just mucus and clear liquid a little at a time not much actual poop. I've never even heard of scours like that. :(

I gave him 40 ccs of electrolytes, pepto, and goat power punch. After that i left to feed the others and when I came back he was more active and was standing with his head up watching us over the wall. He doesn't have much of an appetite and wouldn't even eat his favorite treat, saltine soup crackers, he just licked a few. I just called the vet and he's out right now but should be back by 5 and is going to call me back then. He's had his CDT shot in July. I don't know all the signs of deer worms if that could be a possibility, but there are a lot of deer in our area. Should I go ahead and give cocci medication just in case? Or should I go ahead and worm him with a broadbase like ivomec plus since i don't have a fecal yet, or should i just wait? Could me changing his diet cause this?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok the vet called back, I have an appointment at 4 for a fecal and just to see what he thinks it could be. His temp is 103.6 but he was walking around in the sun when I went to catch him.
Thank you for the help :) and the explanation of why his scours looks like that makes sense, the scours, blood, and mucus out of nowhere just scared me. Im Hoping he will make a quick recovery, i have a buckling in with him but he's starting to miss his lady friends.

·
Premium Member
10,547 Posts
Good I am glad you are going in. I would say Cocci as well. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry I didn't make it clear... Its at 4 pm tomorrow. I decided to treat him for cocci with sulmet just incase it is that. I brought him a little handful of winter rye (not the same kind of grass they were turned out in before) and he was really excited a tried to eat it but only ate a few bites.
Usually his rumen side, you can tell its working good because its just... I don't know what I'm trying to say but maybe that kinda made sense. You can't even tell its his rumen side, his stomach isn't making a whole bunch of noise but there is some, and his rumen isn't as defined as usual. (Sorry none of that came out right :/ ) Is it just from him not eating so he doesn't have anything to digest? The whole thing has got me so confused he couldn't have gotten into anything and has been on the same diet. And the whole weird scours/blood/mucus thing is scaring the mess out of me. Im praying the vet will find out what's wrong tomorrow, I hate seeing my babies sick. :(

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh sorry, yes it's a good steady stream but not as much as usual, like instead of peeing all at once, he pees for a few seconds, still nice and steady stream, then goes and gets water, then a few minutes later he repeats it.

·
Super Moderator
32,305 Posts
Good deal starting Cocci treatment...Continue pepto as well daily until his poop thickens up..this will sooth his tummy..the cocci can really irritate the intestins..
Hopefully the vet wil comfirm through a fecal and see if other worms are lerking...Be sure to check for anemia..and treat all kids in the herd

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good deal starting Cocci treatment...Continue pepto as well daily until his poop thickens up..this will sooth his tummy..the cocci can really irritate the intestins..
Hopefully the vet wil comfirm through a fecal and see if other worms are lerking...Be sure to check for anemia..and treat all kids in the herd
Thank you! I didn't even think about this! The doe with the 2 kids I had out with them for a few days, the kids had cocci a week before but had already been treated. So that makes sense why only the goats under 1 year has gotten sick! I feel so dumb! The two kids were my first birth ever so it was my first case of cocci too, Ill be sure in March when i have more babies on the ground to watch ALL of them closely.
Ill continue the sulmet, electrolytes, and pepto. His eyes are a little bit lighter than usual but not by much, I gave him red cell yesterday and Im going to keep giving that too. Im so excited I know what's wrong now! Im still taking him for a fecal today but it makes me feel much better still. :D Thank You so much!!! :D All of y'all are amazing!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got him to eat a big handful of green oak leaves and gave him all of his meds earlier and then i could tell he felt bad still. Then I just went to check on him and he was playing on a platform and jogged up to me. He's feeling a whole lot better now but still isn't quite himself. The change he had in the past few hours is amazing. :D

·
Super Moderator
32,305 Posts
good job!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The vet said it was cocci and to just keep giving him the sulmet, keep a good eye on him and if he starts getting bad again to call him. He had enough energy today so I decided I would put him back in with the girls and he sniffed noses with everybody then ran to "his spot" which is on a tall stump that he has claimed lol. He's pretty much back to normal, though he has lost some weight, but I'm sure his little chunky self will gain it back in no time. :)

And as much as I hate them being sick, I like to think of it as a learning experience so it will be easier to spot next time. Thank you for all the great information! I wouldn't have known what to do if it wasn't for yall. :)

·
Super Moderator
32,305 Posts
Good job!!!

Merry Christmas

1 - 19 of 19 Posts