The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know it is the spring of the year and everyone is going to start shedding their winter poof but Jasper is a sheep....seriously this little guy is so pilly right now its kinda freaking me out. He's a little butterball so I'm not really worried about him being chilly if he is shedding. What I was wondering about is if this is more than shedding ad being deficient in zinc or something that his coat looks so funny these last week or 2. He's just as spunky as ever and growing like a weed. They have Sweetlix loose mineral. I'm probably just being paranoid but compared to Irish he looks like a small sheep, all wooling out...

Attachments

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right!! I bring out the slicker because it fair gentle even on our skin but it great for collecting hair and as soon as I take one sweep Jasper bolts off. He's super friendly too. Irish doesn't care too much to be brushed either. I do noticed they are rubbing along stuff now, trying to smolt lol. I might just have to put them on the milk stand with their breakfast from now on and brush daily :p

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I brush mine every now and then just to keep them used to it. Animal crackers in one hand, brush in the other.

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
Right!! I bring out the slicker because it fair gentle even on our skin but it great for collecting hair and as soon as I take one sweep Jasper bolts off. He's super friendly too. Irish doesn't care too much to be brushed either. I do noticed they are rubbing along stuff now, trying to smolt lol. I might just have to put them on the milk stand with their breakfast from now on and brush daily :p
Maybe try a different brush? A slicker can hurt easily... maybe once it hurt and now they are nope boys? I just use a human hair brush on mine or i also have one of those plastic horse brushes. I cannot let them see the brush before i am sittin and ready cause they all run to it and jockey over who get it first. The others will all be pushin and shovin the one gettin brushed except when gracie is gettin it. No one messes with queenie lol!

·
Goat Crazy!
6,475 Posts
My Nigerians are notoriously wooly. I swear I could spin fiber from Annika (in my avatar). I have one kid here who has more wool than topcoat. And when they shed, things (and goats) get really ugly - embarrassingly so! Last year I bought a rubber curry brush comb for like $3. It. Is. AMAZING. And my goats love it. It definitely helps get the wool out from underneath where my other grooming items just slide over it.

It's kinda like this one: https://www.technogroom.co.uk/catalog/lincoln-circular-rubber-curry-comb-p-758.html The teeth on it are really wide.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried brushing them again today, Irish soaked it up and I didn't get much wool from him just 2 nice clumps off the comb and then brushed Jasper and her scurried away again. I held his collar and tried it. I know I'm not hitting his skin. After he held still he started leaning into it. Maybe it just freaked him out, the sound or what. He molted a ton lol.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
My Nigerians are notoriously wooly. I swear I could spin fiber from Annika (in my avatar). I have one kid here who has more wool than topcoat. And when they shed, things (and goats) get really ugly - embarrassingly so! Last year I bought a rubber curry brush comb for like $3. It. Is. AMAZING. And my goats love it. It definitely helps get the wool out from underneath where my other grooming items just slide over it.

It's kinda like this one: https://www.technogroom.co.uk/catalog/lincoln-circular-rubber-curry-comb-p-758.html The teeth on it are really wide.
A video of the famous @groovyoldlady in front of the spinning wheel teaching us the merits of homespun clothes for the family? :)

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Both boys are shedding like mad now but then again we just had a huge warm up. I've been working outside in a hoody and sweats and sweating. I do think I need to do another copper bolus soon. Irish is still a bit faded along his back :/

Attachments

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I gave them a bolus :) I really need to buy a balling gun for them, I tried to sneak it in with a bit of banana...yeah they knew lol. Ate the banana but spit the pills right back out. So I tried by dog piller which is too small but managed to get it for now. Neeeeeed a baller! They chomped the pills a bit too so now I'm sure they will not absorb as well as if they had just swallowed the whole thing.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is almost random but I am doing a fecal on the boys with my upcoming paycheck and if they have any kind of infestation such as intestinal or stomach worms or so forth I would treat with dewormer.

What I am wondering, with his crazy fluff coat is if he has a mild case of Cocci? He's keeping weight well now and is a little pudgy and has great energy, stools are good and pelleted. Just the weird coat makes me wonder. If the test comes back that he has a bit of cocci and a parasite load can you treat with both a dewormer and corid at the same time safely? I wouldn't ever want to make my little guy toxic. I'm just making a plan of action if indeed we come back with the worst results. Also are there best wormers you guys prefer for different cases of worms. I know I shouldn't over treat because the worms build immunity.

If I end up treating is there anything I should give on the side to help him along such as Vit B complex? I have Injectable Vit B complex (I have never used this yet) and I have probios powder.

·
Super Moderator
83,097 Posts
Crazy fluff coat has nothing to do with cocci.

It is OK to treat for both, if the goat has them both.
If the goats fecal shows, no cocci or worms, you do not need to treat at all.

If you treat cocci with corid, do not give Vit B complex or thiamine at all.

You can follow up on the Vit B complex after the full course of the cocci treatment, the next day.

It really depends on the worms you are trying to kill off.
But I like Ivomec and Vabezen depending on the worm.
Do not use Valbezen on preggo's.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts