Blue eyes?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Zero, May 9, 2010.

1. Zero

Zero New Member

May 9, 2010
    Florida
    I just got some goats and am new to the goat world. My boy has blue eyes and I mean they are bright blue. Does that mean that if I were to want to breed him ((no where planned...right now kept away from the girls and working on getting him a male friend that is already unable to have kids)). or If I wanted to show him in like 4H would the blue eye count against him?

I know in some dogs blue eyes in shows count against the animal, where as for horses no so much.

Here is my baby boy Zero
    [​IMG]
    I love him no matter what. He is such a lover

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    BE are a common trait in the Nigerian Dwarf, which BTW you have a very handsome ND buckling there!

Fainters are another breed that can have BE...Most of the dairy registries shows will disqualify a goat with BE unless it is a Nigerian Dwarf as it means the goat in question is not purebred.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    very pretty boy -- no Blue eyes are acceptable in the nigerian dwarf breed :)

4. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    i dont know about the show thing but i would love some blue-eyed babies! :D *dreamy*
    all the goats in my area have yellow eyes or off-yellow... :(

5. Zero

Zero New Member

May 9, 2010
    Florida
    What about if the blue eyes on a pigmy goat?

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    blue eyes on a registered pygmy goat are not allowed. ON a mix breed this just shows that the goat is mixed somwhere with nigerian dwarf

7. Zero

Zero New Member

May 9, 2010
    Florida
    oh ok thank you and sorry for the misspelled word

I am going to be calling the old owner and getting the numbers of where she got him to see where she got him and if he has papers. She had to leave in a hurry so she wasnt able to give us everything. We are to meet up with her again to get everything soon.

Thank you for that fact

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    no problem happy to help you out