The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
please help, i have a nigerian dwarf kid that is 12 days old, yesterday she got blue kot in her eye when i was applying it after disbudding. now today her eye is red and she wont open it. what can i do to help her! after it happened i flushed her eye with a syringe of water.

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
Ouch..poor gal....I would continue to flush it...wipe out as much as you can..maybe put a bit of baby oil on a tissue and gently wipe the eye, try to remove as much blu kote as you can..Hopefully some one who knows a bit more than I do will chime in...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well all the blue kot is definitly out but this morning her eye was puffed shut and running. i opened it and it is bright red and and full of liquid..she is playing like normal and drinking fine, she is full of spunk but i dont want her to lose her eyesight! should i call the vet?

·
558 Posts
I would call the vet if it were me.

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
Calling your vet is always a good idea....I might try triple antibiotic cream in the eye such as neopordin...maybe your vet can advise..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i called the vet, they came out and said theres no ulcer or anything but its definitly painful and infected. she gave her a shot rinsed her eye and put an ointment on her eye. then told me to flush her eye and apply the ointment twice a day. please pray that her sight returns to her fully! :( the vet said it looks as though she may have lost some sight! i didn't realize one day could cause her to lose her eye sight! ugghhh! so discouraged with this goat thing right now! i started in april with my nigerian dwarfs and bought a doe that was bred and ready to kid. so far, my experience has been that doe delivering 4 babys, 1 alive and 3 only half developed and deceased, a little buckling who kept getting sick on and off who passed away a week and half ago, a 1 year old doe who got a uterine infection, and now a 13 day old kid that i dripped blue kot in her eye and infected it! please someone tell me it will get better! i cannot believe my luck! :(

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
Im sorry its been hard...Im sure your doe will mend just fine...

My first year was horrid...we lost several new born kids and a few moms...I wanted to quit...it was so hard...then we lost my favorite doe...that was the kicker for me...instead of quiting I decided to arm myself with knowledge..to learn all I can and keep learning...that was 8 years ago...and Yes I still have losses..but I learn from them and move on...there is more joy than sorrow..its just harder when the sorrow all comes at once...it does get better...arm your self...Goat spot is an awesome place to learn, goat-link.com, tennesseemeatgoats.com and Fiascofarms.com are all good places to learn...it will get better ;) Hugs

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
My last year of wethers was the worst. I got two bottle babies that i was going to show at the county fair. They weren't wormed or vaccinated at birth. They had an overload of worms. They were banded and one got severely raw and infected. One we had to put down. The other, although his growth was obviously stunted, he went to a 10 year old girl who showed him at Houston :) it was such a great outcome. But my next wether started urinating blood, couldn't walk, didn't eat. We put him down, it's been 5 months Sunday since then :( but I'm into breeding now and not giving up !! It will get better :)

·
558 Posts
So sorry it has been a hard start for you.

My first goat experience ended badly too. We got a day old doeling for a bottle baby and she got very sick. After several vet visits, breeder visits, many sleepless nights up with her she passed. It was very devastating and I felt like a failure. Now we have 2 happy, healthy doelings and are having a lot of fun with them.

I hope you know you are not alone and from everything I have read it sounds like you are doing a great job taking care of your goats. Accidents happen. The breeder we got our girls from had a lot of stories she shared with me of her past experiences good and bad. No one is perfect. ((hugs))

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone! good to know i am not alone! an update on the doeling -- her eye was pretty wide open today and its not running anymore, its still a little red but it seems to be getting better. im flushing it and applying the ointment just as the vet said to do! im really hoping her site comes back! her eye looks just a tad bit cloudy! :/ Thanks again everyone!!!

·
Registered
905 Posts
I use organic chamomile or eyebright tea on all our animals, (and people), if they have eye issues. If you use it, make it strong, (steep 15 to 20 minutes), strain out the herbs and put in the compost pile, cool the liquid (tea), to room temp., then just gently wipe the eye with it using a clean cotton washcloth. It's never failed us yet. You can usually get organic chamomile at the grocery store, but we buy both herbs in bulk at www.mountainroseherbs.com

1 - 14 of 14 Posts