Blue or Brown Eyes???

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by KW Farms, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Blue

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Brown

100.0%
  1. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Just curious to see what color eyes you prefer on goats?? I've heard many people say they only like blue eyes and some that only like brown eyes...what do you think? :shrug:

2. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    You know, I don't really "have" to have either. I have a mixed herd with blue in there and brown. Blue seem to sell easier. I've had a blue shortage this year. Haha I think 5 out of 35ish kids.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I thought I would always like blue over brown but that is not always the case.

I actually like brown but a splash of blue eyes is cool to add to the herd.

I dont like blue eyes on black and white goats -- way to erry.

I like blue eyes on like Chamoisee or maybe buckskin. Red or fawn are just to light in my oppion they need brown eyes.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I think the blue eyes on a black goat is beautiful...my hubby says it gives him the creeps....I do prefer the brown eyes over the "yellow" those brown eyes are just so soft and gentle looking...more expressive I think. I may have the possibility of blue eyed kids next spring with the buck I plan on using.

5. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    That's funny Stacey, blue-eyes on black and white are my favorites. Go figure. It really pops on those dark colors. I don't like it on roaned, you don't even see the blue so much because the colors are the same. Blue coat blue eyes.

6. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    i love all goats no matter what
    well
    i think goats are supposed to have ears
    other than that
    but
    my future goal is to have a herd of blue-eyed spotted mini nubians
    o
    i have a black and white goat with blue eyes and i think she is very captivating

whispering pines IVY
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I put brown because I think that blue eyes in a Boer are a disqualifying fault. But I've enver seen blue eyes so I don't really know if I would like it.

8. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I personally do not have a preference. I do like blue eyes, but I also love those brown soulful eyes too. I have quite a bit of both though. I do not like blue eyes on buckskins, now there are some that I do like but most I do not.

9. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I think I like blue eyes a little bit over brown, but it really depends. Yes, I do believe blue eyes on a boer are a disqualifying trait! That would be very interesting to see! We have a few blue eyes in our herd and they always stand out, for some reason I really like that look on my minis. I have a buck that's solid black w/ light blue eyes and I think he is just stunning, it creeps my mom out though...I don't know why??? :shrug: I think he looks hansome!

heavenlyhaven: Ivy is absolutely darling, is it just me or are her ears a little bigger than normal? It looks like it to me, but it makes her look really super cute!

10. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I personally prefer brown eyes. Don't know exactly why, I grew up with horses and I always had thought that there is nothing more beautiful then those beautiful soulful brown eyes. Anything else was like a "pig eye", which is what I thought of blue eyes on a goat (having never seen one of course). But then I got Izzy, who has beautiful blue eyes. So, I've added blue eyes to the "things I like about my Nigerian Dwarf goats". I want another buck, Hubby says "no unless I get one with blue eyes"!

11. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    kw
    ivy is a 2nd gen mini nubian
    so she has nubian shaped/sized ears but they are trying to stand up like a nigerian
    LOL
    she looks like she could fly but i love her to pieces

12. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh ok, I was wondering about her ears... :doh: ...Makes sense now!!! She sure is cute! I would just love to get some mini nubians, but there's just not enough breeders around here. I think the mini nubis are just adorable!

13. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I haven't seen a goat I don't like either. So many color combinations and eyes. I just can't wait to see what's next. I LOVE buckskins, by far my favorite color. Closely followed by the right chamoisees. Like red with black points. Those captivate me.

The ears, haha, I must admit airplane ears are by far my least favorite. I don't care for that much. I love the long drooped, the erect Nigerian ears and of course the lack-there-of in Lamanchas. ;) Gotta pick mine up soon!

14. laststraw

laststraw New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    New Mexico
    I have to agree... until I met Lamanchas up close and personal! They are darling sweet, and I nearly didn't notice their lack of ears for their charming personalities. Hubby is trying to talk me into a herd of "normal-sized" goats, along with sheep and sundry other critters, once we move to some acreage. Lamanchas are on our short list!

15. eliya

eliya New Member

I prefer the brown eyes although I have seen some blue eyes that I liked. I think it depends on the goat. I know blue eyes are in high demand with some people.

Oh, and I LOVE the ears on the Nubians/MiniNubians. Who can resist?!

16. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I like both, when I voted I chose blue eyes though, couldn't make up my mind really. . . . blue is really pretty but also the brown is gorgeous too. Maybe gold should be an option too? I have several "gold-eyed" goats in our herd, they are striking to look at! My favorite is chamoisee w/ blue eyes, that's really pretty. I like dilute broken buckskin w/ gold eyes, red-gold w/ blue eyes is striking too. . . . neat poll! That was fun! :)

17. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I would have to say blue. I love the unique look a blue eyed goat has. I have 2 blue eyed fainter/myotonics right now and I love them to death!

18. Haviris

Haviris Member

Oct 7, 2007
    I think I'm going to go with blue. I've always liked the blue eyes on animals, even horses, and I don't think they look pig eyed at all! I think it goes back to my first horse, who had one blue eye, and one half and half, of course back then I got to hear how blue eyed horses were crazy and all the other silly things people believe! After her I had mostly QH so no blue eyes, but I was always drawn to the blue eyes and currently my horse is an overo w/ one blue eye.

Now I do prefer the blue eye/eyes to have color around them (instead of white),
    [​IMG]
    Currently about half my nigi herd is blue eyed (thanks to this years kid crop (all blue or marble eyed) after I sell the ones I'm selling brown will be back on top). As well as my horse, my pony has a partial blue eye (looks blue with a brown thumb print in the middle) and one of my mom's horses (she a cremello, so pale blue eyes), none look pig eyed. Also 2 of the dogs, 3 cats, and two of the ferrets are blue eyed. I really like the darker colors with blue eyes, I think my gold and white buck looks really handsome with his blue eyes, and would probably be appealing to anyone (unless you just simply do not like blue eyes)! His black and white daughter is stiking to me, but may not be to someone who finds that creepy, not sure what my favorite color w/ blue eyes would be, but I do agree that my roaned girl's eyes do blend more!

19. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Well, I have to clarify, I grew up loving Arab horses, brown eyes. The only other eye I'd ever seen was on an Appaloosa (sp), and it had a really small cornea, white around, a pig eye. I'd never seen a blue eye on a horse till we looked at our mini horses. I new one of them had one brown eye and one blue eye. I was "prepared" to dislike the blue eye, till I saw it. It's really pretty! Much to my surprise! Then I saw the blue eyes on NDG's and I thought that was really pretty. So, see, I've grown and become educated! :thumbup:

I've found out that the "hotsy totsy" "real serious" breeders don't care a wit about blue eyes though! Ask one of them if they have blue eyes and you'll get a lecture about "fluff and inconsequential atributes". :shocked: Felt like I was whipped with a wet noodle. :roll:

20. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Yeah the big breeders are breeding for structure, production and strength in the breed. When people ask about blue-eyes they're usually not interested in any of that. Problem is that when people breed for superior production animals they're worth a lot more. People looking for just a blue-eyed goat usually want a cheap goat too.

That's not always the case though. Sometimes you have excellent quality animals who just so happen to have blue-eyes or are polled etc. Then its just icing on the cake for the kids when sales come into play.

I do admit to liking polled a lot since it involves no disbudding but at the same time, polled animals have been said to lack some characteristics for show and milk production. Whether or not that's true I don't know.