Blue Seal 16% and Caprine Challenger

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by PixieDustHollow, Oct 17, 2007.

1. PixieDustHollow

PixieDustHollow New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Does anyone here use BS16? I can have my feed store special order it. I am using the 14%, but I want a higher protein.
    Can pygmies(does and wethers) and boer does be fed Caprine Challenger? It has 18% protein.
    I'm not sure how much more either will cost me. The BS 14% costs me $10.10.
  2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hi there!! I have used both types of blue seal for the last 6 years on my pygmy/nigerians....never a problem with it and they love it!! My bucks get it problems. Around here though the coarse 16 is $9.95 and the caprine challenger is $10.95. They like the fact that theres a good mixture of crimped corn and oats as well as pellets....they can't pick through it!! I never had any luck with feeding just pellets...tried it once and they absolutely would not eat them!! My babies also do great on these brands.

3. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    i feed bs caprine challange for 5 years when i was in maine & if i could get it down here i would switch in a heart beat. i used the 18% for my alpines. i used less & they looked better on it. i gave it to every one,bucks,does & kids. i can not get bs down in tn. a friend of mine up in maine raises boers & she feeds them the same thing & they look great.
  4. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I thought I couldn't get BS down here either, but then I found a feedstore about 40 minutes away that carries it. I like it ALOT beter than Purina!
  5. PACE

PACE New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    I feed Blue Seal Caprine Challenger to my three wethers... yes, they are spoiled! But they do great on it and LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I don't need to feed them much because they are wethers, but they stay in great shape. Plus I add BOSS and Fastrack.
  6. PixieDustHollow

PixieDustHollow New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Hmm. Well, the guy ordered me three 50# bags(lasts a little less than a month here). I'll ask about the price on the CC.
    How much less will they eat on CC vs 16%?
    The boer doelings(8 and 6 months) get 3/4 lb(soon to be bumped up to 1 lb) and the dry doe/wether pygmies get 1/2 lb. Val(nursing) gets about 3/4 lb. They were on Dumor Mare and Foal(textured 16%). I really liked it, but TSC didn't order any after I put in an order. Twice. So, there goes my business.