Blue udders and an Ill doe

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Meepsforkeeps, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Hey everyone..I'll introduce myself later...I'm new to goats (like a week new) I have nigerian dwarf/nubian mix 3 year old doe. Bought her literally one week ago today. She had a buck and he was weaned..At least 3 weeks possibly longer. Well her udders are turning blue. Going to attach pictures. Can anyone tell me I'm crazy and it's nothing to worry about or what do I do? The bottom of her bum is kinda blue also..pretty sure it was pink. Thanks so much in advance!

2. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Also it is not hot or hard. Tried to milk and not a thing came out

3. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Hmm... I'm not really seeing blue. It seems like kind of just a natural darkening that sometimes occurs. It could also be dirt mixing with the natural oils on her body. If she was washed before you got her, that's bound to happen, or you may just have darker dirt than where you got her from. The udder isn't cold is it? Truly blue udders are usually cold to the touch because the goat got gangrenous mastitis, which is quite serious. But her udder looks healthy so I don't suspect mastitis. If her kid was weaned 3-4 weeks ago she probably doesn't have milk because she's drying up.

toth boer goats and Ashlynn like this.
  4. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Thank you so much! That's what I have read is..that gangrene is to be cold. But its just body temp. I've had mastitis..I figured she would react alot more to me pulling on her if it was. I'm still wondering if I should have her checked..just to put my mind at ease and spend a bunch of money for no reason. I also wiped her off and the color dowsnt change so.

5. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
    So I am not seeing blue either, but what I am seeing is the dark pigment under the skin. It is like a dog having spots. The skin is just a darker color underneath. Her udder looks healthy to me.

6. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    I hope you guys are right. I noticed tonight that it goes up past the teats...maybe an oversight last night. But it just seemed really strange to me. It definitely looks blue to me. But not like a deep dark blue. I guess it could be her coloring.

7. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Well, when the udder dries up at the end of a lactation cycle, the blood vessels shrink down as circulation to the mammary decreases. Since the capillaries are no longer full, the skin can take on a darker appearance, although usually people report it the other way around. When their goat bags up they say, "My goat's udder is turning pinker/redder. Is this normal?"

I really think it looks fine and healthy. As long as it feels soft and has a normal body temp you've got nothing to worry about. Don't try to milk it since it sounds like she's already dried up and is working on resorbing the milk. Have fun getting into goats! They are highly engaging and entertaining creatures!

8. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Honestly, thank you!
    That totally makes sense..as does the other way around. It was just surprising to me. The move here has been very stressful for her! She was by herself for a week..pretty sure she thinks I'm a goat..which is ok with me, but everytime I walked away she would just scream. She lost weight and then my children sneak her snacks, instead of sitting with her so I can do other things.

9. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    She may also get more sunlight at your house? Perhaps she was housed indoors before? This can cause the skin to pigment as well.

Congratulations and welcome!

10. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Do you have another goat with her for a friend? Goats stress without a herd mate...... if not she REALLY needs a buddy.

Meepsforkeeps likes this.
  11. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Wellllllll it has been a long road to finding a herd for us. She was to be the companion for a goat I really wanted and then the person just stopped communicating with me. We went o an auction (for the first time) and I just wasnt sure I wanted to put a goat I knew nothing about with her. We just love her so much. Anyways yes..I'm terrible and she didnt have a friend for a solid week. But having 2 kids and a bunch of chickens I figured I could work something out. Which was a joke! I have spent countless hours with her. And have a nice farmers tan! Now we have a mother and her yearling with her. We still need to be with her often because I have them stalled for a couple days. They arent as lively as she either. I'm going to attach pictures I took this morning. Shes not hot or cold and shes acting normal. 20200713_115028.jpg 20200713_114524.jpg 20200713_114503.jpg 20200713_114439.jpg

12. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Thank you! She might get more sun..and it's been so hot and dry. We have had a wicked week for her to first be here!

13. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Do the teats themselves feel normal/body temperature? I do see how they are blue compared to the rest of the udder but it looks like her natural pigmentation. However, if they feel cold to the touch then it is cause for concern.

14. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    No the teats are body temperature. Could it be a deficiency of some sort? I mean I'm sure that it is just her pigment. It just seems so strange. Shes not really eating the minerals and our hay of course and grass are most likely totally different. I think I'm going to get them a mineral salt block.

15. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    I am just crazy. I'm sure she is fine. If it was mastitis at all I think we would be seeing major signs by now.

toth boer goats likes this.
  16. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    I agree that its natural pigmentation. Good luck!

17. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    You guys were right! Just her pigment. I did however have the vet come to check everyone out and my other goat who is a 3 yr old nubian had an abscess in her knee. I have been flushing it for like 2 weeks and now shes on penecillin. I never considered giving her B complex because I'm still learning..and hopefully not killing my goats in the process. I did post a thread but I figured maybe I would get more attention here. Can I give the B complex that TSC supplies instead of the fortified version, until said fortified gets here. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/durvet-hi-level-vitamin-b-complex?cm_vc=-10005

18. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Good job on noticing the color difference. If she was getting mastitis you would have been on top of it!! Thankfully this was not the case.
    The fortified b complex has higher level of B1(thiamine)...this one you posted has 100 mg thiamine and fine for general support. Higher levels are needed when dealing with polio.

Edit: looks like both fortified and the one you posted both have 100 mg thiamine..so same :)

Meepsforkeeps likes this.