Blue udders and an Ill doe

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Meepsforkeeps, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Well how would I go about knowing if its polio vs just general support for antibiotics? Shes not moving around much. Every so often shes up. I do have her separated from Ms blue udder bully so shes not out in their yard. I gave her some grain soaked in water just now when I went to check on her. The vet told me ot was

2. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Blurp. Continued. Not the greatest Idea to be making her get up every hour like i was before..i should have let her rest. But that was Sunday afternoon into evening. We started the penicillin yesterday

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Polio is thiamine deficiency. It causes neurological symptoms such as..circling, star gazing, drunk walking and so forth.

General use is any time the goat is off her game. Not eating much, recovering from illness or injury and so forth.

4. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Great I really appreciate this! Back to tsc!

happybleats likes this.
  5. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    The goat with the abscess..did the vet say cause? Yes rest is healing but she needs to move around to a few times a day.

6. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    She said she didnt think it was cl or cae. Or anything major. I think because she didnt come from the greatest conditions it was slowly developing. She was otherwise healthy. But there were several times here that she got the bandage off and it just got dirt inside and that did not help it heal. She had/has me putting a iodine type of drawing salve on it. I was to be flushing every other day. Sometimes I did every day. I bought a new cleanser today. Some chlora hexa dine business. I used 7% iodine with water this morning and am switching to the other this evening.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    happybleats likes this.
  7. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Its her left knee. That was before the vet came

Attached Files:

8. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    I am going to do 4ml sq with the 22 gauge needle. Sound about correct? I hate to keep giving her the intramuscular. Shes getting the penicillin 2x a day

9. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    You only need to do IM for hormones. Everything else can be given sub q. Make sure you draw back on the syringe before administering penicillin - if you get it in a vein it can kill her.

Sfgwife and toth boer goats like this.
  10. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Word! I did some researching and YouTube watching. It's hard to find a good spot especially while she is up against a wall to get near her baby. Shes kinda thin with thick skin. I also dont want her going buck wild..but I did do the draw back and was good. Of course I was being a baby each time. Maybe this evenings will be better

happybleats likes this.
  11. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    I dont have to draw back on it when I do subcutaneous correct? I'd like to maybe reuse that syringe twice or so and toss the needle. The plastic trash really gets me. My vet gave me some and they are even in their own little capsule as well. I'm giving them to the kids to play with. It's kinda over kill. This is a capsule for the syringe not the needle to be clear lol!

12. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Yes, draw back every time you are going to inject medication, especially Penicillin. No blood is good to go, see blood, re adjust and try again. Use the needle once only. With each use it dulls and can hurt more, can cause abscess and introduce bacteria. Syringes can be used over and over, best when same meds are used. Here is a chart to show where to give different shots. I prefer the neck area listed..but the arm pit skin is easy too.

Attached Files:

13. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    You have been so much help! I appreciate you!

happybleats likes this.
  14. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Well I think shes rapidly declining. Gave her the b and the penecillin tried to get her in her stall so my other one doesnt beat her up over night. She barely stands. And now shes arching her head back..which I see of course means polio. We brought her a bunch of stuff to eat tonight because I figure fresh is better than hay.

15. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Her head is kinda swaying

Attached Files:

16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If she has polio or Listeria.
    How much of each and how often are you giving pen and thiamine?

Are you giving banamine or Dex?

If she is really bad, I would get a vet ASAP.

Goataddict and happybleats like this.
  17. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Oh dear. Which day was the vet there for the knee abcess?

Very unusual that this polio or Listeriosis is setting in during treatment for the knee abcess, those shouldn't be related.

She needs high doses of B-Complex and Penicillin every 4-6 hours around the clock now!! Both subcutaneous injections. Let me get you a link for polio/Listeriosis treatment. It's a lot of reading but worthwhile. Don't give up, she can pull through this!!

How is her FAMACHA score?

Is she drinking if you place bucket of water right in front of her?

toth boer goats likes this.
  18. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    toth boer goats likes this.
  19. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Reverse order. She won't really drink. She did earlier. I have her like 3 tiny pieces of watermelon..thinking that would at least give her hydration.

I'm not comfortable doing the 4-6 of penicillin. But I could go up at 10 and give her more B. It's the complex. Nothing is seprate.
    The knee was about July 20th and it seemed to get better. Sunday she was off by herself and laying around. I called the vet and she told me penicillin. So this is day 2. And I gave her the B at like 530 with the penicillin. I've been doing alot of running around because no one has any of this stuff. But now I know. The penicillin is every 12 hours 4mls.

Ok so we got her up and she wasnt having it. That's when I snapped that pic. She just kinda laid there but then she positioned herself up..I'd say after maybe 5 mins. Seemed like a long time bc I thought she was dying. Then we waited about another 5. I've been brushing her and her legs hoping it keeps blood moving. She walked about 12 feet to her stall. Shes in there now. I feel like that was a small piece of progress.

20. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Banamine for pain? In all this I havent taken her temp at all today.