Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Meepsforkeeps, Jul 12, 2020.
For brain swelling.
Famacha is about a 2 or 3 the lighting is really bad up there. I check them outside usually
Get her temp. Swaying doesn't necessarily mean polio..could be weakness. Its hard to say without being there but if it is polio..she will need that thiamine every 6 hours. If the knee is infected..sepsis is a concern. A temp may helpful know what direction to go. Definitely call your vet asap.
I cant call her till the morning but I plan to. I should give her another B shot soon though right? I honestly do think/know shes weak. The swaying didnt really seem to be convulsions or anything. And I'm wondering if the pitting the head back was her trying to reposition herself. That was the first time this evening she got up. From like 530 when she basically crawled out of her stall. She was in a different spot right before I gave her the injections so she could have walked some. I had to run back down to the house
What do you all think about aspirin of she has a fever..and could that help with brain swelling
If the doe has polio or list you have no choice in giving her the meds around the clock every 4-6 hours if you want to save her! Neither issue is anything to play with here. Also you absolutely HAVE to get fluids into her! Try some warm molasses water or gatorade but also keep a clean bucket for her as well. The molasses just a few glugs in the water. If she does not drink she will dehydrate very quickly. If she does not drink call the vet back out for sub q fluids.you can try to drench jer as well.
Going with molasses water and b now
She did pee when I got her up
She drank(prob 3+ cups) . Got injections. Her temp was 102.4. I think we are gonna be good. Just trying to be optimistic here.
So shes up and standing. She wasnt interested in water or molasses water early this morning. But I typically don't even go up there that early so. But she did drink prob 2 cups of the molasses water now. I'm waiting on the vet to call back
Glad she is up.. Did we get her temp?
Of course I didnt! Shes up being mad about me trying to get it In there..she was sitting now shes up. I gave up but I'll be going back up soon.
Ok...yah some can be a pain to get a temp.on without a helper or table....temp is important to know what her body is doing. Normal temp range is 101.5 to 103.5.
I have been able to do it by myself bc she has been so weak. I take this as improvement! Still waiting on the vet...not my usual one..shes off farm visits today.
Post vet update. She wormed her (which could go either way) Said stop with the B. Her temp was really low. 99 something still giving penicillin. It's been about an hour and I'm going up with the toddler
Why stop the B? B complex supports the body when its not well. Temp is too low ..need tobget her in the sun see if that helps her. I wpuld also give her cayenne pepper..about 1/2 teaspoon in some honey..and enough water drench. Cayenne pepper has amazing medicinal used. I use it here for many things in goats.
Was she anemic?
She didnt say she was anemic per say she just said I think we ought to worm her. Her famacha was def diff since lastnight. She said that she thinks shes had enough pokes and that all the B I have given her ought to do it. I'm still giving her molasses water. It's pretty warm in the barn. I might wait till my husband is home to get her outside but I can try to get her up and out. Bully and baby (who wants to drink her molasses water and eat her better hay..and basically wants to crawl up her butt) are both being problems. The vet did call the original vet to check with her on everything we did.
Her knee is getting better. It's not swollen at all but still pussing very mildly.
I did ask about putting a blanket or something on her..she said I could try that.
As for cayenne...I use it with my chickens. Corn breaks down slowly and warms them up so would that do the same for her. I might get her to eat some of that. We have kalmbach goat feed. They dont get much. But it has corn in it..I could take some out
I do think she thinks maybe its parasite related. I think I gave her safegaurd 2 weeks ago..after the original owner gave her some type of ivermectin (maybe she didn't give it to her). But I had been checking her also..so maybe things just got bad that she was down. She is sending out a fecal. And I'll do another in 2 weeks