Blue udders and an Ill doe

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Meepsforkeeps, Jul 12, 2020.

1. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    With her having a low temp..digestion will be slow. Corn is very hard for them to digest. Its recommended not to give any feed at all when sick. Goats also have a very fast metabolism so daily B complex would still be needed. I would have never worked her with a low temp unless it was very much needed..again comprises her rumen. I would definitely give probiotics 3-4 hours after the wormer to help restore flora in her gut. Dark beer at room temp wpuld do her a world of good as well if you are able.
    I know lots of conflict with what your vet said and I dont want you to be uncomfortable going against your vet..this group is a wealth of experience...but in the end you need to do what you feel is best for her. With that said..i do think she needs b complex once daily. She needs probiotics and dark beer to kick up her rumen. No feed, especially corn while down. I would keep hay alfalfa and browse foods close. Electrolytes to encourage hydration. Sending positive thoughts!!

Meepsforkeeps likes this.
  2. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Like I've said before I really appreciate your help!
    I havent really given her any feed except some soaked in water..to get some water in her..she wasnt interested in the slightest. I bring her raspberry leaves and some yarrow and lace that keep popping up. She loves all these things. Pretty soon I'll have the kids get her some. I'm gonna do the cayenne with honey like you suggested.
    As for the B I'll give her more tomorrow then. She had some at 645 am and then at like noon.
    We did give her a swig of dark beer lastnight in the molasses water. I'm going to tell him to just get guiness on his way home. I could go for several myself.
    Sometimes we make beer and wine, too bad we didnt save any sludge bc that would be really good for her right now. I'll put that on the to do list.

happybleats likes this.

3. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Vet also thought polio and listeria are not the issue.

happybleats likes this.
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  5. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    How about this? Cant find my cayenne. I also grew some ridiculous spicy peppers

Attached Files:

6. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Found the cayenne shes actually drinking it. Her ears are cold. I know I said tomorrow for the b but maybe I'll give it tonight with her penicillin

toth boer goats likes this.
  7. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Oh im glad you found your cayenne. Its the best type of pepper for her right now.

And so glad she loves it. Goats are so amazing to know what they need most times.

8. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    All that sugar is bringing the flies full force. Ugh. So I put some hay on her. Haha

9. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

With rumen problems, the worst thing you could do is give her corn. She needs hay or leaves. She needs probiotics.

It needs to be warm dark beer. Give her 6 ounces.

10. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    She wouldnt drink the warm and flat beer.
    No corn!
    She has had raspberry, blackBerry and rose leaves.
    I have this god awful trumpet vine. Jezabel has eaten it..can I give it to her?

11. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    get a clean syringe with no needle and slowly squirt in her mouth. The beer is the best thing for her right now

12. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Ok I'll do that asap. How much? Like a quarter cup?

13. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    6 ounces. Missed that! Going now. One for me one for her

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  14. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Hahah! understandable! How did it go?

15. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    It went well. We are sticky. Everyone had some. Lol

happybleats likes this.
  16. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Clover passed a log. Odd since her poo has been so normal. I hope this is a good thing. Legit no form. LOG is that from the wormer? It's been pellets..and they have been plenty. We never put her outside so I have been cleaning them up since the flies are getting bad.

17. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Started with electrolytes in her water. Free choice in her little bowl after she drank up the first batch. Suggestions on weeds that would be good for her? We have got probably every single weed known to man here other than "weed"

18. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Poop logs maybe her body fixin to clean out. If she scours..allow it for a day or so then we want to get her back to berries.

Dandelion is a good weed to feed her. Most normal garden invaders...no milk weed but plantain is good..rose clipping, although not a weed is good.
    @Nigeriangoatowner im betting has good ideas here.

19. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Some herbs you can try
    fresh or dried
    oregano is a good treat to help her gut.
    Thyme,
    Sage..(can cause milk to dry up)
    Rosemary
    Some mints.

Always introduce new foods slowly

20. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    I cant ever get her to eat plantain. We give her grass and the hay. But sometimes I can encourage my children to forage more with a specific. I'm definitely over the thorned varieties. She is not interested in leaving the barn. And I have yet to get her to stand today.