Bluetongue disease in goats? Or What?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Froggy, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Froggy

Froggy New Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Has anyone ever dealt with this with their goats?

I'm asking simply because one of my does (Misty), started out with excessive salivation about 4-6weeks ago. At first, I didn't pay attention to it, then I asked about it on here, and because there were no other symptoms (she wasn't acting sick, or looking bad or anything), there didn't seem to be any cause for alarm.

Now however, her mouth is all crusty from the excessive saliva, her lower lids are pale, her hair is thinning(mostly on her neck), and she just looks like crud.

I have no idea what it could be. None of my other goats/sheep have any similar symptoms (yet...).

Could it be blue tongue? I know nothing about it---and her tongue isn't swollen, which seems to be a major symptom.

Any other ideas?? I really don't like it that she seems to be getting worse rather than better.

Thank you in advance!

2. Dani-1995

Dani-1995 Active Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Greenville, NC
    I personally would call a vet. Drooling can be a sign of facial paralysis and that can be caused by a number of things. It seems like blue tongue hits hard and fast with most animals so 4 to 6 weeks worth of signs is a bit much. Although if she is possibly trying to recover from it then she has a while before she is better. Also swollen lips are a symptom. I doubt its blue tongue based on how rare it is but anything is possible.

Call a vet out and be sure.

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I too would be getting a hold of a vet, but before you do, check her moth really well. Maybe she has food stuck in a cheek or a sticker in her mouth that you can see.

I know if they have a impacted tooth they will do the same thing. feel around her moth and feel if she has a spot that is swollen or hot.

4. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I agree with both insights...time for a good mouth check, if nothing is found, see a vet...

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  6. Dani-1995

Dani-1995 Active Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Greenville, NC
    I agree... with it having gone on so long I would assume you will need a vet even just for a rx antibiotic. I wouldn't assume blue tongue nor rule it out. But its so rare that I wouldn't bank on ot

7. lauranrick

lauranrick New Member

Oct 16, 2013
    our goats both just had blue tongue. and it did hit hard and fast. because it's so rare we had no idea and had to put them down because although the call it "self limiting", it was horrible. they went from not eating, to a swollen black tongue,heavy breathing,foaming,and lame (they had blood/sores above their hoof lines). they wouldn't get up and it was just horrible. it got increasingly worse every day -- so that by the 5th day there was no question we had to put them down. they had swollen faces, and their tongues were black -starting from the tip and going back to the whole tongue within a day. it's so rare we didn't even think of it, and it went super fast. i thought poison.... anyway i just want you to call a vet - google cannot always answer everything. maybe they can even give you ideas over the phone if you can't afford a house call (?). or call a local 4h goat lead and ask some questions.... it's an option. most people with goats are happy to share info and it's a learn as you go pet. hope this helps.

8. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Wow, I didn't know blue tongue was even still around. I'm so sorry you had to deal with it. Sounds horrible.