The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girls got Bo-Se the beginning of May.. A little later then I would have liked, but, that's when they vet came out.. I would like to get them on a schedule of once a month before breeding (so about now) and once a month before kidding.. Would it be too soon to give them their 'before breeding' shot now?? Should I just wait and just give them the one before kidding and get on schedule that way?

Oh, and the girls will be due for copper around the time of breeding/a few weeks bred.. I have heard a few things on copper in early pregnancy... Have any of you used copper in early pregnancy safely?

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I don't want to hijack, but I have just been reading a little about BoSe. I had no idea it was used so often! :eek: I thought it was something ti use in an emergency if a goat was sick, etc. I'd like to know how often most give it, or what's reccomended. Thanks :)

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most breeders I'm my area use it twice a year at the times I mentioned above. I know some use it once a year at one of the times mentioned above.. I have been researching it a bit, and my girls were a bit deficient.. So I would like to do it two times a year. At least for my does.. My bucks will probably get it once a year and we will see how they do.

·
1,524 Posts
I give it before breeding, mid term and before kidding. I also give them a selenium/Vit E powdered supplement made for horses in their grain once a week year round.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So you think it will be ok to give it to them now?

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
I give mine a shot before breeding and a shot 6 weeks prior to kidding.

I give copper the same way but a little bit lower dose prior to kidding. But now that I am using Replamin Plus, I'm not sure what I will do with the copper bolus.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Karen :) so I'll get weights and get doses all set today :)

·
14,615 Posts
We do BoSe shortly before breeding & 10 days-2 weeks before kidding. And on newborns if I think they need it.
As for copper blousing I only did it on a buck who didn't know what loose minerals were.
Goat feeds do not have enough copper, period. Or selenium & Vitamin E to make a difference.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
The lady I bought my new pygmy does told me that she lost 10 babies at birth all at 1 time and that she started giving the does each a shot of bose once a month and hasn't had any trouble since.she told me to get a prescription from my vet and continue dosing them once a month also. Is this something I should do or not?

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
It depends on your area but I wouldn't think you would have to do it monthly. But each farm has to figure out what their goats need. Some need more BoSe than others.

·
14,615 Posts
Erica I'd look into your loose minerals closely before proceeding with monthly injections of BoSe. That's a bit much .

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
WHAT EXACTLY IS BoSe FOR?
Selenium. Giving your goats more selenium into their system. Most places are selenium deficient and they need selenium for strong muscles and tendons. Affects a host of other things too.

Selenium and copper are very important to have at proper levels in your goat. That is why people do the BoSe shots and copper boluses.

·
Goat Feeder
1,436 Posts
Goats have a very high metabolic rate, but I would still be cautious with Se and Cu. I doubt you could hurt a goat with Cu rod bolus or BoSe injections once a month in depeleted areas. But, I would be careful if you have high Cu and Se minerals out and higher Cu and Se feed and then giving full dose BoSe inj. and additional Cu. Get a blood work up and see what the levels are if you are concerned.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
For Erica, if you want to spend the money, I would blood test your goats for Se prior to giving them their BoSe, if they are low give them a shot then wait about a month or so and test again to see how the levels are. If they are still in the ok range I would wait until about the 6 month post BoSe shot, test again and see what their levels are if they are low at that time I would give another shot, then wait maybe 4 months and run a test. This would all be to have a better idea of how long the BoSe is lasting in their systems and how often you need to give it. If their levels are continually low I would be looking into a custom mineral mix with higher Se levels or at giving them the horse selenium supplement so you don't have to inject them all the time.

Personally, I give my bucks and does a shot of MuSe about 3-4 weeks pre breeding, then give the bucks a shot in the spring and the does each get a shot about 3-4 weeks pre kidding. None of my kids ever show a selenium deficiency and I actually do live in an area that is ok on selenium levels but because most of what my goats eat is not grown here in my area I do supplement them. Every one gets copper bolused twice a year which happens in January and in July.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
It sounds like most are just kinda guessing at how often to give Bose. I would start out with only doseing once or twice a year. Selenium can be toxic if too much and will actually show the same signs of def. When really they are getting too much. I just got a bottle of Bose for a few that I think needed it and am think of doing the per birth shots.....still thinking lol. Anyhow point here Bose can be toxic so keep that in mind ;)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts